2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Transmission Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008 | 01:03 PM
Redneckgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transmission Problem?

Ok I have searched for the last 2 hours trying to find a thread with the same problem that I am having and have had no luck. So here is my problem...my transmission is slipping (I think). I don't know for sure whether this is a cold weather problem or not as it has only been 40degrees at the highest in the lastseveral weeks but when you first startout on a chillymorning it seems to shift ok justa little hard from 1st to 2nd (but it's hardly noticable) all other gears shift fine,until the engine gets warm. Once the engine is warm andI come to a complete stop it's like I have no 1st gear, you have to give it a great deal of gas to get it movingbut if you manually put in down into 1st it moves normally. It does this in OD, D, and D2. The only way you can get it to move normally is to put it into D1, but once you get speed up to 10 to 15mph, you can shift back to OD andall other gears shift fine. I changed the transmission fluid and filter about a month ago but I did NOT flush the system (I read on here that it can cause major damage). Trans fluid level is fine (checked it yesterday). Could changing the fluid and filter have caused these problems? What could be causing this?

Old 12-28-2008 | 01:18 PM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Transmission Problem?

I'm no expert but if there is slippage thenthe "Check Engine" light should have come on. I had a similar problem (still have) with low speed gear changes but only occurs on long trips when the engine is really hot. It just happened again yesterday in fact!It had a P1870 codewhich is transmission slippage.

Old 12-28-2008 | 01:42 PM

I thought the CEL would have come on to but it hasn't. I don't understand...if it is not the transmission then why would I have to put it in 1st gear to get it moving normally? Could it be something else making it seem like the transmission is slipping?

Old 12-28-2008 | 01:54 PM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

You'll just have to hang in there I'm sure Kyle or one of the other guys will have answers for you.
My transmission I understand has a sticky valve problem which needs a modification done to it. Yours seems a little more confusing but could be related to the same thing. Just need a code! Good luck, hope it's a minor fault.

Old 12-28-2008 | 02:23 PM

It is very confusing...it only does this when it gets warm and when I slow down to a complete stop or almost complete stop (slower than 5 or 10mph). I wish the CEL would come on so I could get a code, it would be much easier to pinpoint the problem...lol So far tho it has not come on, guess that could be a good thing.

I think I should have posted this in the "Engine & Transmission" section...sorry

Old 12-28-2008 | 06:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, 2nd gen tech is appropriate as well.

Anyway, about your problem, if you suspect it is a transmission issue, then you will probably want to have the transmission diagnosed by a professional. It is quite likely that you have a leaking valve in the transmission which requires some rework/replacement to get things sealed back up appropriately. Automatic transmissions are quite complex.

Old 12-28-2008 | 06:15 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, and 95s have issues with code readers. I don't remember the specifics, but I could almost NEVER get a code read on my old 95. The CEL would be on for weeks, and yet there were never any codes STORED. Code readers would show no codes!

Old 12-28-2008 | 06:17 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

I second what Kyle said and from my experience, 95's very seldom kicked a PO 1870 or the like. Maybe some late builds did(or not) but very seldom can you rely on that. Not sure the technology was that advanced in 1995 as it was-say in 1997 and up. Good luck. Jerry[&:]

Old 12-29-2008 | 08:47 AM

Thank you all for your replies. I just made an appointment to have the trans diagnosed, so I guess we'll go from there....Thanks again

Old 12-29-2008 | 09:41 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: dBsound

Well, and 95s have issues with code readers. I don't remember the specifics, but I could almost NEVER get a code read on my old 95. The CEL would be on for weeks, and yet there were never any codes STORED. Code readers would show no codes!
'95 was the step-child year for OBD systems. It was the year that they were changing from OBDI to OBDII and some had OBDI while some had what is called OBDI.5
Not all code readers will work on them. It takes a special reader for the OBDI.5

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem?