2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 03:35 PM
dimone545 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transmission problems

I recently bought a 96 s10 blazer 4x4 4 door from someone on a lean sale. It had been sitting for around two years before I bought it. Since Buying I have bled all fluids and replaced as needed. Oil, Tanny, Dexcool system, fuel, All filters etc. The truck fired right up first thing. Nice right. Well thats what I was thinking as well. So time for the first road test. Everything seems fine in my neighborhood then as I pull out on the main roads I get enough speed to need a different gear than 1st and 2nd. Well It wont shift past it. The rpms just keep going. While sitting still the tranny engages all gears. I dont know what to do??? Then to top it off when trying to stop it takes everything I have to stop. The brakes arent spongy , the pads are new yet i have to push with all Ive got to stop it.? PLease someone help me get this thing on the road!!!

Old 09-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Transmission problems

*Moving to 2nd Gen Tech* The new member area is for new member introductions.

I would start by checking the transmission fluid level with the truck on a flat, level surface, engine running, and transmission in park.

The brakes being difficult to stop could be a number of things. First, I would suspect the vacuum booster. Manual brakes can require a good amount of strength to actuate. If that is not the problem, then it is possible that there is air in the brake lines. A good flush of the braking system should remove this as a possibility.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:34 PM

trabsmission levels are good, also the brakes have been bled by me so i know they are good. it just feels like i turned off the truck then tried to stop. Like there is no power to the brakes. not spongy like air just no power.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are sure that the brakes are adequately bled, then it is either a master cylinder problem or a vacuum booster problem. The master cylinder should hold vacuum pressure after you shut the engine off. If you remove the check valve off the front of the booster and do not hear a rush of air entering the booster, then the bladder is most likely blown which would leave you with manual brakes.

As far as the transmission, if the fluid level is proper, then it could be either an electrical problem or physical damage to the clutch packs. To diagnose this further, you really need to take it someplace that has access to the proper diagnostic tools.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:32 AM

hey guys I really need help. When driving the tranny shifts great from 1st to second but when rpms reach around 3000 in second instead of ever shifting it slips into nuetral. I really cant afford a rebuild right now and would like to try any alternative to that. I have the ability to do most work myself if someone could just point me in the right direction. No shops please. Last time I took a truck to a tranny shop the truck was stolen and totaled!! I trust no shops. All fluids are new and filter is new. Can someone give me a list of things to check before the rebuild alternative. Can I hook a code reader up even though there is no check engine light on? Someone told me I could for the tranny? Vaccum problem , electrical? What possibilities are there? Thanks for the help in advance.

*Moved from other thread on same topic by swartlkk* - Trying to keep things in one place for better communication.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:58 AM
Administrator

I know how you feel about shops, but I will reiterate my feelings about modern automatic transmissions... They are quite complex and without the proper tools, you can end up spending a lot of time and money only to possibly fix the problem, not fix it at all, or potentially do more harm than good.

With that said, here is the list of checks and causes for:

No 2-3 Shift or 2-3 Shift Slips, Rough, or Hunting:

Check - Converter:
Cause - Internal Damage
Check - Oil Pump:
Cause - Stator shaft bushings scored or off location
Check - Valve Body Assembly:
Cause - [ul][*]2-3 Shift valve train stuck[*]Gaskets or spacer plate incorrect, mispositioned or damaged[*]2-3 Actuator valve stuck[*]Face not flat[/ul]
Check - Input Housing Assembly:
Cause - [ul][*]3-4 clutch or forward clutch plates worn[*]Excessive clutch plate travel[*]Cut or damaged 3-4 clutch or forward clutch piston seals[*]Porosity in input clutch housing or piston[*]3-4 clutch piston checkball stuck, damaged or not sealing[*]Restricted apply passages[*]Forward clutch piston retainer and ball assembly not seating[*]Sealing ***** loose or missing[/ul]
Check - Case:
Cause - 3rd accumulator retainer and ball assembly not seating
Check - 2-4 Servo Assembly:
Check - 2nd apply piston seals missing, cut, or damaged
To go further than that would require a lot of time to explain a LOT of things. If you are really interested in fixing this yourself, I recommend you purchase a book on the 4L60E transmission which can explain what is required to check these components. I highly recommend the ATSG Rebuild Manuals - 4L60E and possibly in conjunction with the 4L60E Update manual that is available (but not really necessary). They are a definitive source of information for these transmissions, even more in depth than the factory service manuals in regards to the transmission (which I would also recommend due to their technical content).

Old 09-04-2008, 07:51 AM

Thanks for all the help hopefully I can put the info to good use. I will look into getting the manual you speak of and hopefully can fix my problem. Sorry for double posting but there was different info in the second post and I couldnt find the old one to add to. New to site but Ill figure it all out soon. Thanks again.
-THOMAS-