2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Trouble changing rear pads on a '03 Blzr 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 10:59 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
The conc. circles are shallow grooves. They seem to match the same groves on the fitting for the banjo bolt. They are duplicates, not designed to interlock, but are the same pattern. I guess i was hoping some one with a Blazer FM would have the answer.
Duh, I have a 99 factory manual. I looked at the instructions just now. It says nothing about the orientation of the brass gaskets. It does say the bolt is to be tightened to 40 ft-lb. This applies to the single and dual caliper front disk brakes.

And the mating surfaces are all smooth with no imperfections?

Old 01-02-2018, 05:21 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road
Default 4 Wheel Drive.

As to the caliper mating surfaces being smooth with no imperfections: It is hard to be sure with the caliper on the truck. Limited access. It does appear to be smooth and scratch free.
I am having to 'estimate' the torqueing of the banjo bolt. There is no clearance between the bolt and the rear axle. I can't get a socket and ratchet-a 3/8" or even a 1/4" on the banjo bolt. I am using a combo wrench.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:43 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Dorman 66223. Copper washers. Tighten to spec with a torque wrench. Take caliper off if you can't get a socket on it.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:32 AM
Starting Member
Snap-Off is on a distinguished road

Ribbed banjo connector to flat side of washer...Ribbed side of washer faces the caliper..

You can try a crowfoot on that torque wrench , but you may need to adjust torque due to the added length...

About halfway down the page is a calculator for determining torque setting when using an extension(crow foot):

https://www.engineersedge.com/manufa...e_wrench_1.htm

Old 01-02-2018, 09:57 AM

Great info. Thank you for all the info. Jim

Old 01-03-2018, 10:33 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I did my calipers last year and I never had a problem with the gaskets that came with it. Can you see which side of the banjo bolt is leaking?

Old 01-04-2018, 07:48 AM

No, it is impossible to tell which side of the banjo bolt is leaking. I just know it is the banjo bolt that is leaking.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:34 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I would try the original banjo bolt. If it still leaks I would think it would be an issue with the caliper.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:34 PM
Default Quick update from O.P. on rear calipers!

We finally got a break in the weather--- no pun intended. We are back in the mid 60's and later this week mid 70's. I put everything together and put the wheels back on. After a trickle charge, I turned the key and it started right up. I do love my Blazer. The pedal felt mushy and pumping wouldn't bring it up where it should be. I drove it around my neighborhood carefully. The pedal stayed soft. I think it needs a good bleed job. I think i have the right rear caliper leaking stopped. I have a newspaper under that wheel to see for sure. I am having trouble with the one man bleeding procedure. Back to You Tube and re education. I am going to write up a long list of tips, mostly what not to do. I hope that will be educational or at least entertaining. Thanks for your help, Jim

Old 01-10-2018, 05:04 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
I do love my Blazer. The pedal felt mushy and pumping wouldn't bring it up where it should be.
I do love mine too And, from my point of view, when I finished my calipers story, i found it mushy too. At least in comparison to what I have in my other cars. But yet, when I hit hard, my ABS triggers on, so I guess it should be in that way. As for the bleeding - I can't imagine doing it one man. Ask someone for help - a wife, kids, friends, a neighbor. Whomever that can follow three simple commands: push, hold, release It takes just a few minutes if a ride is jacked up.

Quick Reply: Trouble changing rear pads on a '03 Blzr 4WD