2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Troubleshooting Door Close Switches/Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 03:54 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default Troubleshooting Door Close Switches/Sensor

Need some help tracking down a problematic door close switch or sensor. My dome light clicks on randomly while driving down the road. And on top of that, sometimes when I turn off the engine the radio clicks off too (it usually stays on until I open a door). That, coupled with an alarm that randomly goes off leads me to believe that it is a door close switch that is failing.

Problem is..I have no idea how to go about trouble shooting them. I though on a 2000 the sensor was integrated with the door lock instead of the push-pin in the door jamb style. Is that right?

My only clue so far as to which door is I've noticed after heavy rains the back drivers side door drains rather profusley the first time I open it..no problems with that lock or window switch though..

Any ideas?

Old 12-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Starting Member
stlwaco is on a distinguished road

start by making sure all the door pin connectors are tight and the wires in the connectors are tight.
If you still have issues, go buy a pin and install it on the drivers door. If the problem continues, put the old drivers pin in and move the new one to another door. Process of elimination.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:36 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

That process works great...dunno why I didn't think of that...BUT...that's only if the door pins are how the circuit works on my 2000.

I'm pretty sure the door close sensor is in the door lock assembly...? Can you confirm the door pins are where I need to start?

Old 12-07-2010, 08:44 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by WolfPack
That process works great...dunno why I didn't think of that...BUT...that's only if the door pins are how the circuit works on my 2000.

I'm pretty sure the door close sensor is in the door lock assembly...? Can you confirm the door pins are where I need to start?
on my '01 2 dr there is a plasic pin sticking out of the side of the dash(i think it was) mine's bent but still works some how. if yours is in the same location, maybe yours is also bent?

Old 12-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have to look for the pins in the dash for the front doors. I believe it was only the trucks with the content theft deterrent system (factory alarm) that the switches were in the door latch itself for the front doors.

You will also have a hatch glass switch and one for the tailgate/liftgate.

Here are the schematics:

Attached Thumbnails Troubleshooting Door Close Switches/Sensor-2000_interior_sch1of2.gif   Troubleshooting Door Close Switches/Sensor-2000_interior_sch2of2.gif  
Old 12-07-2010, 09:37 PM
BF Veteran

Thanks Kyle

So no switches on the back doors then? Also the only difference between the front doors I've noticed is that ever since I've had the truck...pulling the handle on the passenger front door would kick on the dome light and set off the alarm if it was armed, the drivers door handle had no effect. Always figured it was a bug on the install of the aftermarket alarm...

Old 12-07-2010, 09:45 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by WolfPack
Thanks Kyle

So no switches on the back doors then? Also the only difference between the front doors I've noticed is that ever since I've had the truck...pulling the handle on the passenger front door would kick on the dome light and set off the alarm if it was armed, the drivers door handle had no effect. Always figured it was a bug on the install of the aftermarket alarm...
from my understanding, a lot of after market alarms are designed to go off when it senses a degree voltage change and/or the interior light comming on because this usually indicated someone inside the vehicle or trying to enter

Old 12-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Starting Member
g_mike is on a distinguished road

my 02 door sensors are built into the lock mechinism...it is based on weather it is latched or un latched on the door frame.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You will have jam switches for the rear doors.

If lifting the passenger handle activates the dome lights, your latches have the switch in them.

It's possible that the latch or possibly the whole door on the driver side was replaced at some time and the connector is just hangin' around inside...

Old 12-10-2010, 09:43 AM
nakedredneck is on a distinguished road

on the door latch assy located inside the door, is a 2 wire plug that controls the lights instead of the jam button from prior years. my drivers side came totally unplugged and would not let the interior lights go off even when driving. the plug is a wide flat one on the top of the door latch assy.

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting Door Close Switches/Sensor