2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

truck died going 70mph on the highway-HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Beginning Member
Hizapitt is on a distinguished road
Default truck died going 70mph on the highway-HELP

I need help ASAP!!!

I recently replaced the fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel filter, injector, fuel pressure regulator, plugs, wires, cap, rotor.
So I drove from Delaware to Florida and then back with no issues. Then a trip from DE to VA a few times. Several other 200-400 mile trips. No issues.

On the way to the airport last night I was doing 70 and it died. Sitting along side the road, I tried to restart. turns over good but wont fire. Do to trafic I could not do to much. Tow truck guy shows up half hour later, takes me home. At home I hit the key and it fires up like it had no issue. This morning it fired up so I let it run for 2 hours with no issue. Hopped in and went for a ride. A mile down the road it died. Would not restart. I let it sit about 5 minutes and it started up and drove home. After another hour of it running and messing with it, I finaly got it not to start. I can hear the fuel pump going, it acts like it wants to start but wont. I can not get it to not start long enough to check for spark by my self. Every time I get it to not start, I set up little test and the thing starts. This is very hit and miss, but I need it to run!!! HELP

Old 04-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Beginning Member
Luvthyblazer is on a distinguished road

Try cleaning your EGR valve, it comes off easy.
Clean the carbon off the spring valve in there, it may be sticking shut.

Check to see if cat is clogged.

Might want to run her up and have a diagnostic scan ran.

Might end up being the TPS or even timing issue.

have them check the timming.

I think advance will due it free call them up 1st and ask.

They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Please post back with the solution I'm dropping mine off Monday for a diagnostic at the transmission shop, its having a similar problem, back fires when up to running temp bogs down real bad.

Tranny shops know blazers all to well and these guys will have strong knowledge of tests and procedures. They should be able to point you in the right direction for a min. fee

Old 04-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Could be a problem with the coil or ICM. You can remove them and take them to a number of autoparts stores and have them tested.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:51 PM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point

This also sound like some of the issues folks have when the ignition switch is going bad.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:15 PM
jdespain is on a distinguished road

My Dad's 1999 Chevy Lumina had the exact same symptoms. Turned out that it was simply a bad coil that was breaking down when it got hot and operating properly when it cooled back down. I agree, it was very frustrating to diagnose.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:58 PM
redblzr4x4 is on a distinguished road

mine did the same thing.....it was the ICM, as soon as i changed it, worked perfect. get it checked at autozone, but get it tested a couple of times.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:51 AM
Beginning Member
Hizapitt is on a distinguished road

Finaly got it to do it at home. The first thing that jumped out at me is the white wire running from the coil to the ICM that previously had 12 volts now at the ICM side has 0. I flipped the key a few times and nothing. Waited 10 minutes, flipped the key and it now has 12 volts again. I can not find any thing that says what it should be, so I am thinking 12 volts. That makes me think coil.

Either way, found a local parting out his. I am going to get ICM and coil just to make sure.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:39 PM
jtf150 is on a distinguished road

Id try a crankshaft position sensor. could be failing but not completely gone yet. About 15 bux from autozone. Takes 5 minutes to install.