2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Truck suddenly won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Beginning Member
marklar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Truck suddenly won't start

This summer, I ended up replacing several things... starter, alternator, battery (all brand new), and fuel pump (from my local "auto recycler"...)

Saturday, everything was all fine. Even though it was cold, started up just fine.

Sunday, go out, and the truck doesn't want to start! Even with a fully charged battery! The starter runs, but it won't go. Like it's out of gas. Like the fuel pump went out. Listen closer, and the humming that the pump usually makes when the vehicle is "on" is not there...

Could this happen suddenly like this? Is it likely the fuel pump, or something else? (Am I going to get to have fun again this next week replacing it?)

Thanks...

Old 12-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could try swapping the relay for the fuel pump.. Chances are, the electrical system is functioning properly and the pump has just expired.

If you can get your hand up on top of the tank well enough to be able to disconnect the electrical harness at the pump, you could test for power and ground at the tank.

Another thing you could try is pounding on the bottom of the tank to see if it has any impact on the pump.

Obviously if the pump isn't even running, you won't have the proper fuel pressure to the engine. If you do find that the pump is bad, do yourself a favor and get an AC Delco or Delphi replacement. MANY of the aftermarket brands have shown to have a high failure rate with members of the forum.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:53 AM
Beginning Member
marklar is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks-- I forgot to mention that I had already swapped out the relay, as well as the pounding trick, the and didn't work. What gets me is that this happened with absolutely no warning- no reduced pressure, just gave out. (BTW... Is there a fuse too, or just the relay? I can't find a fuse...)

Oh, well... You know, it's not like I had anything to do this week...

Old 12-06-2010, 06:16 AM
Starting Member
dobyken is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by marklar
Thanks-- I forgot to mention that I had already swapped out the relay, as well as the pounding trick, the and didn't work. What gets me is that this happened with absolutely no warning- no reduced pressure, just gave out. (BTW... Is there a fuse too, or just the relay? I can't find a fuse...)

Oh, well... You know, it's not like I had anything to do this week...
It happens...my wife drove home fine then the next day I got in the truck and nothing. It had always started as soon as you turned the key and I tried the exact same things as you did. I, like you, thought the pump would gradually go bad but they do fail suddenly.