2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

trying to increase gas mileage....

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 02:14 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

When you guys find the magic consumption fix, let me know. I need the cure here waaaaay more than you guys.

Just to add my bit on the English, grammer etc .... I'm slowly catching on to this "American" English! LOL Even ocasionally misspelling tires when it should be TYRES! Amongst other words. LOL

Old 09-27-2009, 03:52 AM
GMJimmy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MachNU
But another thing I have come across is if your using 87 unleaded switch up to 93(roved this personally). Bit more, but I have picked up about 40-50 extra miles to a tank.
Agreed. Especially with highway driving, premium fuel makes a difference; I got about 1-3mpg better (on 91 octane, that's premium in Colorado).

And I know you like your K&N, but I replaced my air filter with a FRAM Tough Guard, and I noticed a 2mpg jump immediately.

Originally Posted by AJBert
Of course, a fresh tune up always helps. You might even try Seafoam if something like that has never been done.
x2. Probably your best bet of any suggestion here. A $10 bottle of the stuff will save you far, far more in gas, and is overall good just as a tune up. Definitely worth it.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:34 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by midnightbluS10
Let's see here...

200 for a fuel pump
280 for injectors and bracket
100 for a distributor
50 for cap and rotor
25 for ign coil
30 for plugs
warrantied the plug wires - free
18 for fuel filter

so almost $700 with me doing it all myself...all because I was trying to save $5 and not remove the throttle body to clean it. the tb cleaner ate through the toothbrush and it fell off into the int manifold. Then I broke a few things and the rest is history. It has never ran this good, though. So in the end, it was all worth it

These are all guesstimates(and pretty close) as I don't have the receipts in front of me.
that's actually not that bad, even doing the conversion to the Canadian $.

Originally Posted by kiwiblazer
When you guys find the magic consumption fix, let me know. I need the cure here waaaaay more than you guys.

Just to add my bit on the English, grammer etc .... I'm slowly catching on to this "American" English! LOL Even ocasionally misspelling tires when it should be TYRES! Amongst other words. LOL
really?

Originally Posted by GMJimmy
Agreed. Especially with highway driving, premium fuel makes a difference; I got about 1-3mpg better (on 91 octane, that's premium in Colorado).

And I know you like your K&N, but I replaced my air filter with a FRAM Tough Guard, and I noticed a 2mpg jump immediately.

x2. Probably your best bet of any suggestion here. A $10 bottle of the stuff will save you far, far more in gas, and is overall good just as a tune up. Definitely worth it.
i don't know what you guys are paying for your premium gas in the US (talking 91 not Ultra94), it's about $0.11 to $0.13 more per liter (that's about 42 to 49 cents on a gallon). that'd be $7.80 more per 60L fill-up. i need to figure out the extra miles i'd travel on the 91 fuel to see if it's worth buying ($7.80 would be 8.667L of 87).

i'm running a paper Fram filter right now, but have thought about those AirHogs (they don't make one for the Burb, that's why i'm running a K&N).

what's the deal with Seafoam? what's it supposed to do? how does it work? sounds like you just run it through the tank @ your next fill up.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:40 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

I seafoamed my Blazer a few months ago. Half through the brake booster hose and the other half in the tank. Only noticeable difference was that it idles better.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:42 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Theres your problem...your driving to and from work 10-11 days in a 7 day week! Cut that down to, 7 day's of to work and back and you will save gas!

On a side note, I have researched and actually found a few things. Like some already mentioned weight and tires, and a tune up. But another thing I have come across is if your using 87 unleaded switch up to 93(roved this personally). Bit more, but I have picked up about 40-50 extra miles to a tank. Also another thing is switching out the factory radiator. Bit more expensive, but switch to one a more efficent unit, then adding some electric fans, on a temp switch will give you 1-2mpg(Found this out from a friend who did it to his blazer!).
What year is your Blazer? According the the owner's manual for the CPI engine, they actually do gain performance when switching from regular to premium fuel.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:24 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

I seafoamed my Blazer a few months ago. Half through the brake booster hose and the other half in the tank. Only noticeable difference was that it idles better.
what is it supposed to do? where did you pick it up, a parts store?

What year is your Blazer? According the the owner's manual for the CPI engine, they actually do gain performance when switching from regular to premium fuel.
really?

Old 09-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Beginning Member
MachNU is on a distinguished road

Yep, hell my gas cap area says Unleaded Fuel Only, but runs so much better on premium. Plus where I am its only about $.25-.30 more over 87. So to gain a good 30-40 extra miles is worth it.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Jason Rebellion is on a distinguished road

Yep, hell my gas cap area says Unleaded Fuel Only, but runs so much better on premium. Plus where I am its only about $.25-.30 more over 87. So to gain a good 30-40 extra miles is worth it.
premium is unleaded also. all gas in the US is unleaded.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:58 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by Jason Rebellion
premium is unleaded also. all gas in the US is unleaded.
unless MachNU is in South America, Asia, Eastern Europ or the Middle East, he can only be using unleaded fuel. these are the only countries that allow the use of leaded fuels in on-road vehicles.
i know alot of the people on this forum don't list at least a state of where they're from, you shouldn't assume that MachNU isn't in the US. i'm sure 99.9% of us on here knew nobody can use leaeded fuel on the road anymore. hell the lobbyist are even trying to ban it from auto racing! like that's gonna happen anytime soon. the auto racing bodies are making to much money (for themselves and the government through taxes) for that to ever happen.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:11 PM
Beginning Member
MachNU is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
unless MachNU is in South America, Asia, Eastern Europ or the Middle East, he can only be using unleaded fuel. these are the only countries that allow the use of leaded fuels in on-road vehicles.
i know alot of the people on this forum don't list at least a state of where they're from, you shouldn't assume that MachNU isn't in the US. i'm sure 99.9% of us on here knew nobody can use leaeded fuel on the road anymore. hell the lobbyist are even trying to ban it from auto racing! like that's gonna happen anytime soon. the auto racing bodies are making to much money (for themselves and the government through taxes) for that to ever happen.
I am in the US. In georgia actually. But when I refer to unleaded I am referring to 87, and premium 93. I know there is a difference between leaded and unleaded...I just assiocate unleaded in name/term to 87.

Quick Reply: trying to increase gas mileage....