2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

trying to increase gas mileage....

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 03:41 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MachNU
I am in the US. In georgia actually. But when I refer to unleaded I am referring to 87, and premium 93. I know there is a difference between leaded and unleaded...I just assiocate unleaded in name/term to 87.
i figured you were from the US (nice state you live in by the way), and i never ment to give you the impression you didn't know (it was Jason who i was trying to get that accross to). i think of fuel in the terms you do, since i've only ever used leaded fuel when i was @ the track. and even that has been outlawed in Canada now (the government has totally screwed our Auto Racing up here).

Old 09-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Beginning Member
MachNU is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
i figured you were from the US (nice state you live in by the way), and i never ment to give you the impression you didn't know (it was Jason who i was trying to get that accross to). i think of fuel in the terms you do, since i've only ever used leaded fuel when i was @ the track. and even that has been outlawed in Canada now (the government has totally screwed our Auto Racing up here).
yeah I understood. but I am the same way...to me past premium its racefuel(100-105) then C16(110-114)

Old 09-30-2009, 06:55 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MachNU
yeah I understood. but I am the same way...to me past premium its racefuel(100-105) then C16(110-114)
absolutely.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:02 AM
Beginning Member
LioNiNoiL is on a distinguished road

I made a 520-mile round-trip to visit family in California last week, getting 21.5mpg westbound on my way there. My keen-eyed brother saw that the right-front tyre was low (20psi) so he pressured them all up with his portable compressor. I got 23.6mpg on the return trip, same route, same leisurely pace, same gasoline brand and octane. I don't think the prevailing westerlies are strong enough to make a 2mpg difference, so I'm confident the tyre-pressure is the cause. I haven't checked the city mileage after my return yet, but I'm eager to see whether it has improved over the 16.7mpg of my last check.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:31 AM
janddcunningham is on a distinguished road

Hey next time you fill up make sure are not using E85 that would cause less milliage just saying you could grab it as an accident. Just my two bits us all.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:52 AM
Starting Member
Debonair is on a distinguished road

on the s10 forum a lot of the guys get a wait4me tune for some extra power, delete codes, and an extra 1-2 mpg

Old 08-27-2011, 10:14 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Im still stuck on the electric fan/more effiecient radiator idea. I just dont buy it. These motors want a 190 t-stat in them. Very rarely will I see over 200 with my stock radiator and original clutch fan. When the truck is too hot, Im too hot, the weather is too hot, and the AC feels OOOOHHH so good, Im very happy to hear that simple reliable clutch fan grab all the air it possible can. Im cool, the truck is cool, and Im not taxing my alternator even more than the AC clutch and Blower motor already are. I believe in the KISS method (Keep it simple stupid). No modified mounts, no additional wiring, no switches or relays.

When it isnt needed, it just basically hangs on for the ride waiting to be needed.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Starting Member
Debonair is on a distinguished road

i think the electric fans are supposed to free up some of the rotating mass on the engine by removing the stock fan.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:03 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Unless the clutch is engaged, the rotating mass in neglibible. They are designed to only really engage at approx 170 air temp. Depending on if its a severe or heavy duty service clutch will also determine the amount of slip when the unit is engaged.

Ram air is sufficient to cool the vehicle over about 35 mph. So cruising down the highway the clutch should be disengaged. Just tagging along.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:43 AM
Beginning Member
nineteensixtycaddy is on a distinguished road

My clutch fan freewheels all the time, never heard it engage once, and its been like 110 outside. and my temp guage only ran over 210 one time when the lower radiator hose leaked. otherwise its typically running at 190-200 even in stop n go traffic. just flushed radiator again, do that once a year and run 100 percent dex cool. it really does help rust/oxidation issues, oh, and I get about 22mpg hwy.

Last edited by nineteensixtycaddy; 07-30-2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: mis spell

Quick Reply: trying to increase gas mileage....