2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I know on the later 2nd gens, there is a separate hazard relay.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Beginning Member
95posblazer is on a distinguished road

im having the same problem on the 95 i just bought. where is the relay at? behind the radio?

thanks
Kevin

Old 03-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Beginning Member
erobe387 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default turn signals

Ok guys here is what I have done so far to get the signals to work.I have put in a new multifunction switch and a new flasher to finaly get the signals to work.I will have to let you know what happenes in a few days if this holds up.When I first put the new multifunction swith in the signals would not work so I checked to see if their was power to the flasher before I put the flasher in and also checked to make sure the fuse was still good all of this checked out ok so I put the new flasher in and they started working but I will see what happenes in two days.Do you think that it would be better to put one of the electronic flashers in or just stick to the thermal flasher instead.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It really is a toss up on the flasher construction. Electronic flashers are nice in that they do not depend on the load of the circuit to work. The thermal ones are nice because they let you know when a bulb goes out.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Beginning Member
DVS Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by erobe387
Ok guys here is what I have done so far to get the signals to work.I have put in a new multifunction switch and a new flasher to finaly get the signals to work.I will have to let you know what happenes in a few days if this holds up.When I first put the new multifunction swith in the signals would not work so I checked to see if their was power to the flasher before I put the flasher in and also checked to make sure the fuse was still good all of this checked out ok so I put the new flasher in and they started working but I will see what happenes in two days.Do you think that it would be better to put one of the electronic flashers in or just stick to the thermal flasher instead.
Just need clarification as to the parts you are referring to:

- Multifunction switch = the left side switch on the steering column that also has the cruise and wiper controls on it.

- Flasher = the relay which is located behind the stereo in the dash. It's round shaped and is inexpensive ($11 CDN)

Last edited by DVS Blazer; 03-09-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:08 AM
Beginning Member
Default turn signals

Yes the multifunction switch is the same thing as the turn signal lever.It has the controls for your wipers and cruise control and dimmer for your head light.The flasher is located behind the dash panel that has your cigarette lighter mounted in it or what most people use to plug in there cell phone car charger.Both the turn signal flasher and the emergancy flasher are behind this panel.Ok this is one for kyle now that I have put the new multifunction switch in and the new turn signal flasher my air bag light stays on so I pulled the fuse for this out and it just stays on,what will I have to do to get the light to turn off.It will falsh 7 time when you first start the blazer and stay on after that with or without the fuse.Is there something I did wrong when I pulled the stering wheel off.I unhooked the wires that the book said to unhook and did not have to take the air bag clock spring off the stering wheel to get the swith off or back in.Any help would be nice since the light was not on before this.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:59 AM
Administrator

If the airbag light is on, you either did not connect something properly somewhere in the column or you somehow did not reinstall the wheel properly.

I would check over the main wiring harness connection under the steering column. Since you have to take this apart to replace the multifunction switch, it is possible that one or more of the connections did not properly get reassembled.

Beyond checking over all of the work which you performed, you would need to have the system scanned and the Airbag module accessed to determine what is actually wrong with the system. A Tech2 (dealer) or equivalent full function scan tool is required to access the Airbag control module though.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Beginning Member
DVS Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Replaced the flasher relay last evening and I got my turn signals back. Thanks all!

erobe387, have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to rid the airbag light? Sometimes if there's constant power and you disconnect something it will tell the ECU that something has happened which throws up that light. If you disconnect the battery and clear the lights and then that light comes back on then I'd pursue it as an issue.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Beginning Member
Default air bag

Ok here is what I forgot to tell you was that I started the blazer before I put all of the air bag parts back on.the air bag was still disconected from the stearing wheel when I did this and I did not remove the air bag clock spring from the colum.So I called one of the chevy dealers around here and they told me to disconect the battery cabels and let it set over night and hook them back up the next morning.The dealer said that this is a long term code and that this should clear the code because I never removed the clock spring and that the color yellow could still be seen through the little window in the lower left corner of the clock spring that ment it was still good.Would this work or not I will let you know because I will wait until this weekend to try this and see.THANKS for all your help.I try and do all the work myself to save money but have not done this type of work since I got out of being a mechanic back in the late 80's and early 90's because of the place I was working,no future with the boss at that time,still try and stay on top of things but lost out on the schooling when it comes to the computer part of it and electrical part.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:58 AM
Beginning Member
wtony is on a distinguished road

I PULLED out the Hazards Fuse under the hood -
Got in Car and noise was still there and BLINKERS and Brake lights worked fine
(heres where it gets interesting)
I then Turned on my Hazards (still with fuse out) and NOISE WENT AWAY BUT ...
With hazards on I have no noise , BUT I also lost BRAKE LIGHTS and BLINKS !!!!

Can someone please help to tell me WHICH of the 3 or 4 Parts I should replace based on the above info ?

1. Flasher Relay ?
2. Turn Signal Lever ?
3. Hazards Switch ?
4. Anything Else ??

Thank you !

Last edited by wtony; 07-19-2009 at 11:32 AM.