2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Upper Control Arms Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 11:53 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Do the upper ball joints have grease fittings? If so, keep them greased up! If not, watch them closely for wear. 10K miles is about all you can expect from them.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:08 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

CRAP!!....no grease fittings.!!....appears I just wasted some $$$$ and time putting these Moog parts on.
Good thing I kept the original control arms. I will be cleaning them up, installing new ball joints and bushings to have them "at the ready" when needed.

And I thought getting these Moog parts was a "good" thing; I could have spent 30% less on cheaper ones.

Another lesson learned....the expensive way!

Old 04-16-2016, 03:49 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

L81, don't the ball joints have the removable plugs so you can install the grease fitting?

Old 04-16-2016, 05:30 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
L81, don't the ball joints have the removable plugs so you can install the grease fitting?
The moog ones I swapped out did not...

Old 04-19-2016, 10:17 AM

I will need to take a look. According to the picture of the control arms I purchased from RockAuto there is a grease joint to be screwed in....I sure do not remember doing that nor remember seeing a hole or plug for a grease fitting.

Going to go take a look.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:16 AM
Starting Member
Impact is on a distinguished road

I just replaced all four of mine with the moog r series and they do not have fittings or removable plugs.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:44 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

I remember when the less expensive suspension products had the 'plugs' which were a small threaded bolt that you could unscrew and then screw in a grease fitting. Simple and cheap to upgrade to a greasable fitting. The new style of 'no plugs, no choice' is not a good turn. This is a continuation of the disposable products.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:38 PM
puttster is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LannyL81
When I replaced the upper control arms I should have replaced the two inner tie rod ends and the idler arm; going to soon, have new parts sitting on work bench, got Moog "Problem Solver" for both.

I schmacked my driver front wheel on a curb recently and threw my steering wheel to 12:30 and gave me some extra camber as well (2wd). I plan on replacing the upper control arm (which has a worn bushing anyway) and BJ, so I followed LannyL81's experience on this thread to learn how. Of course the problem may not end with a new CA, I am suspicious of the idler arm and tie rods too.
Is there a special advantage to replacing these at the same time as the UCA? Otherwise I'll just wait and see if replacing the UCA fixes everything.

Last edited by puttster; 02-13-2018 at 07:00 PM. Reason: 2wd
Old 02-13-2018, 09:33 PM

I would say there is some advantage in that the front end is in the air, wheels/tires off, and a bit more room with the UCA out, possibly shock and good chance you will lose the alignment doing the tie rod ends; you will doing the UCAs...so might as well do all at once and pay for only one alignment.

Just remember that the 2wd front end is different from my 4wd.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:02 PM
Starting Member
Suicide.Geisha is on a distinguished road
Default Proper parts

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Uppers are a piece of cake. Jack stands under the frame. No need to disassemble the caliper & rotor. Loosen the ball joint nut so the stud is flush with the nut. Use a pickle fork to seperate the stud from the knuckle, then remove the nut. Be aware that the upper arm will jump up, and the lower arm will drop an inch or so when you remove the nut. Mark the cams so you can install them in the same position when you reassemble. That will keep camber & caster as close as possible. It will still need an alignment when you're done though. When reassembling, use a jack under the lower ball joint to raise the knuckle up so you can engage the upper ball joint stud back into the knuckle. Nuttin' to it
Ok, so I got the upper control arm replacement w/ball joint pre installed save time and money...my question is there seems to be the rubber ring on only the outside not the inside where the bearing is located. On my vehicle there is a rubber on the inside too...do I need to buy it separately, is it supposed to be there?

P.S - its a 99 lt 4x4 (2nd gen s-10 blazer)

Quick Reply: Upper Control Arms Replacement