2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Upper manifold cleaning questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 04:52 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

And I think I mentioned above, use good quality RTF on the front end a back rails of the block.

Old 04-05-2019, 05:18 PM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

I’m not sure what good quality is but RTV yes, kit comes with it and shouldn’t that be a good one? I do have a fresh tube of red permatex rtv and also had bought a tube of permatex dielectric grease.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:30 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Trukntigger
I’m not sure what good quality is but RTV yes, kit comes with it and shouldn’t that be a good one? I do have a fresh tube of red permatex rtv and also had bought a tube of permatex dielectric grease.
I used the stuff that came in the kit and it was fine. Just need to get all traces of oil off with carb cleaner in order for RTV to seal well.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:08 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

I used the one in the kit, but I ran out in one spot. Did mine a second time with a bigger tube, then ended leaking with a broken bolt... that's when I sent it to the shop lol.

Dont get discouraged tho... if it was warm out, wouldve never went to the shop. It's easier then the YouTube videos look lol...

Old 04-05-2019, 07:32 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Trukntigger
I saw a report on the forum in which the person writing it said that the stuff in the kit did not perform well. Perhaps they did not clean the surfaces well enough.

Old 04-06-2019, 01:31 AM
odat will become famous soon enough

As lesmyre said clean well with carb cleaner or even brake clean to de grease mounting surfaces on both the block and intake - wipe it down with a clean rag and let it evaporate and dry well - the provided tube is fine - but if needed use Permatex RTV black - If I remember right red is more for a high temp situation and black is better for just oil sealant

Old 04-06-2019, 11:10 AM
Starting Member

Still prepping for reassembly so thought quick update. This is for you Christine-

Lovely...clean, cut and notched. How’s that!

Got most the stuff cleaned, will do on rtv sealant. If goes to plan should have this wrapped up today or Sunday. I want son and pals to swing by and help me push Blazer to drive, flush the bit of remaining coolant and then back into garage to complete job. And yes, I saved the coolant in a bucket and it is going to be dropped at my sons friends shop for recycle once the new is poured in and I put old in the containers.

Old 04-06-2019, 03:11 PM
Starting Member

Getting there. Taking another break. My excuse, I’m old and need it. Sore all over. The old bolts as studs great idea, dropped right on target. Snap-on 3/8 inch scale torque wrench a god send, that thing is so smooth and easy to tell when to stop. Now if I did my job right and it doesn’t leak at all I will be thrilled. Couple update photo’s for you all.

Who knew, valve covers have writing on them. Guess pretty dirty.

Sorry did not stop to grab a shot with rtv in place, was trying to move while it was fresh.

Still much to do and then new cap/rotor/plugs/wires but making progress. Should run to close like new when done... I hope.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:32 PM
odat will become famous soon enough

Lookin good and I know what you are saying on the old and taking a break - I have 5 years on you - just wait it gets worse...

Old 04-06-2019, 05:36 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Looking really good!

Quick Reply: Upper manifold cleaning questions