2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Upper manifold cleaning questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 10:17 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Good job! Take the rest of the day off!

Old 04-08-2019, 09:17 AM
Beginning Member
Frank Bukowski is on a distinguished road
Default Trukntigger (LIM)

Wow , that's a fantastic job cleaning , and I agree that it's much easier to find problems & leaks if it's clean to begin with ! You are obviously detailed minded , which should make thingsure easier !

Old 04-08-2019, 11:28 AM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

Any ideas where that one 2 pin connector goes? I still cannot find a home for it under the hood. It is the one at end of line with a/c plug so has to be something near by. In my head keep thinking it was just like hanging off some bracket by itself with nothing plugged into it which could mean A: something was there and fell off or B: it was a option unused on this truck.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:17 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Trukntigger
Any ideas where that one 2 pin connector goes? I still cannot find a home for it under the hood. It is the one at end of line with a/c plug so has to be something near by. In my head keep thinking it was just like hanging off some bracket by itself with nothing plugged into it which could mean A: something was there and fell off or B: it was a option unused on this truck.
throttle position sensor?

Old 04-08-2019, 01:05 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

There's a sensor on the driver's side.. midway down, and towards the back a little, or its plug #2 for the back of the ac...

Edit: the sensor I'm talking about is on the side of the engine. I dont think it's for that...

Last edited by DonL; 04-08-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:48 PM
Starting Member

I got it outside, filled coolant, started..yea. Runs..yea..runs right...boo. Cam sensor off.. yep I guess I missed my mark on distributor so now got to fiddle with that, rpm is racing around 1700-1800, all per my ODB2 WiFi thingy and app. RPM gauge on dash not working, was before this. Could not find another port on AC for that connector. It’s in the photo above prior post, white and a green I think, round. Maybe linked to this no rpm on dash gauge?? Do not know, as is letting cool a bit, I had it get hot enough to circulate coolant to fill it proper. Still burping it like the spoiled child it is. NO leaks yet, that is a good thing but I have not even tightened up the radiator cap yet to pressure check.

Edit: Found the missing connector, thanks. I have poor vision like I’ve mentioned. It’s why I lost my DOT physical card, macular degeneration. Ok, in sun I found that little bugger behind the ac unit. It’s in. Got suspicious when I did not hear the AC compressor kick on. One issue down. Still waiting for it to cool enough o work on that distributor and get it right. Ticks me off, I even used my paint pen to make marks to line it all up.

Last edited by Trukntigger; 04-08-2019 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Found the plug in
Old 04-08-2019, 02:20 PM
BF Veteran

This is the back of the ac unit. This is the plug i am talking about. Might have to the intake hose off...

Old 04-08-2019, 02:32 PM
Starting Member

Yep that the one.. I edit prior post. YOu pointed me in right direction. Now to redo darn distributor and figure out why my rpm not working.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:06 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I had issues getting my distributor lined back up after doing LIM myself. The oil pump drive was what kept messing me over.

Tries using long flathead, no luck. Finnaly grabbed a piece of #10 wire I had, about 12-18", and bent a 90 on each end, about 3/4" long. Both 90s going the same direction. With my knees on the radiator core support, I still couldn't quite see down in the hole. Got my smart phone, with camera and flashlight and held it over. I was able to see down there on the phone screen. Aligned the oil pump drive, and the dist slid down in perfect.

This is after I had to roll the engine around to #1 TDC. On mine there's two timing marks on the balancer, if both line up, it's right.

Good luck, you'll get it figured out. Just have to cuss some more, first

Old 04-08-2019, 03:13 PM
BF Veteran

Maybe line to TDC, then make sure oil pumps is lined up(I dropped distributor after setting TPC and looked for alignment of needle to the 6 mark). Then go from there. After that, make sure the little clips for throttle cables are in that bracket, if you disconnected the cables, you might of aligned them off a little...

Quick Reply: Upper manifold cleaning questions