2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Urgently need help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 06:54 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Did you say you cleaned the cat out? If so, how did you do this? Would this be a seafoam type clean out that also cleans the engine?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:49 AM
vegie_2 is on a distinguished road

A cat will make a truck run real bad. A dealer worked on a truck I had and forgot to plug in the O2 sensor it made it run full rich limp mode so that made it burn up the cat.
It kept running worse till it would not run I was going 15 mph with it floored and backfiring up through the intake I had to have a tow truck pick it up.
It was totally plugged!!!

Old 06-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Starting Member
01BlackBeauty is on a distinguished road

From what you've described I would suspect the cat converter as the problem - especially if it's been rattling and you don't see an increase in exhaust flow at the tailpipe when you accelerate. Remove the O2 sensor in front of the cat, start the vehicle and see if it improves acceration. If it does chances are very good you have a bad cat/restriction in the exhaust system. Replace the cat and check the exhaust pipe downstream from it to make sure it is not obstructed.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Beginning Member
Jakethegreat440 is on a distinguished road

Ok, the CAT is seeming like the culprit, Last night I tried taking out the oxygen sensor in front of the CAT with no success. It's about baked on, I tried using pb blaster, a torch, wrench connected to wrench, hammers.. everything I can think of and this thing won't budge a bit. I'd like to take the exhaust completely off from the cat back to see if it's clogged past the cat ect.. But I have no idea how to go about this and with all the trouble that 02 sensor gave me (and still didn't get it out) I'm not sure if I even could get this off.. anyone have some tips or stuff to look for, its past 90's here in ohio so I'm going to wait until about 6 or so and try to see if I can get it off. thanks if advance for replies!!

Edit I have air tools too but our compressor is on its last leg and will hardly get 50 psi, let alone hold it for an extended period

Old 06-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by kristoph30
Did you say you cleaned the cat out? If so, how did you do this? Would this be a seafoam type clean out that also cleans the engine?
I haven't been able to get the exhaust off yet. and I've heard some pretty mixed opinions about seafoam cleaners, whats your take? is there one that would even reach the cat?

Old 06-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You don't clean a catalytic converter. Typically when they clog, they end up destroying themselves. Best to find a good muffler shop and weld in a new universal fit cat.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Beginning Member

I talked to a couple shops and it's been quite a bit.. If I spend the extra hundred and get the one thats direct fit can I do it myself? I still haven't even been able to get even the oxygen sensors loose so I know it's a stretch but I really don't have 5, 6 hundred dollars.. I was also wondering if anyone knew where a good place to find wiring diagrams were? the check engine light is going to be the next hurdle and I bought a multimeter to see if it's shorted but I don't wanna go plucking threw wires if I don't know where they go.. got a peek at the bulb and it's ok :/

Old 06-08-2011, 10:16 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

im in ohio. area code 440. where are you? My muffler bolts to the rear of the cat. 2 bolts. I also have a 97 and wiring diagrams.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Beginning Member

Well how about that, where in the same county, i'm in Fairport specifically. The muffler is the same way on this, I'm just not sure how to get the cat itself off as I don't see any bolts, does it slide off? I'm probably coming across pretty car retarded, I've just never had to deal with a muffler yet.. I'm still not sure I could even break the bolts free. I haven't been able to the 02 sensors with multiple sprays of pb and other routes.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Beginning Member

Wow guys, so I get in my truck today to take it to the store, (only a few min drive at 25) and the thing is driving great! I mean there is ZERO bog this AM, I have no idea what I did besides smacking the cat with a hammer but theres plenty of exhaust flow and the thing is literally burning rubber if I tap the gas with this new fuel filter! I'm very confused but very happy! maybe now I can focus on this check engine light and the CAT will hold off until I get some more money/work. I let it run for hlf hour and I've been on the pedal like a mad man and it just won't give up! I think I might've blaster some of the loose debris out when I first started it or something, Just wnted to give you guys and update! still working on this check engine light though so any more suggestions would be great! thanks!

Quick Reply: Urgently need help!