2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Valve cover gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 11:24 PM
johnnylovsey is on a distinguished road
Default Valve cover gaskets

When I replaced my intake manifold gaskets I baught valve cover gaskets felpro but when inserted they were about 1 inch to long so I went to another parts store same thing so I went to gm dealership and let the parts guy try to install them same thing about 1 inch to long.any one else run into this and what can be done or are they all to big for the valve covers.Or is it just felpro because there intake,s fit just fine.Help if you know anything I would like to finish up my clean up job but its down to the valve covers.any reply would be appreciated.Oh yea 2003 gm blazer 4.3 liter l/s 4x4 S10

Last edited by johnnylovsey; 12-21-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:00 AM

[QUOTE=johnnylovsey;658992]When I replaced my intake manifold gaskets I baught valve cover gaskets felpro but when inserted they were about 1 inch to long so I went to another parts store same thing so I went to gm dealership and let the parts guy try to install them same thing about 1 inch to long.any one else run into this and what can be done or are they all to big for the valve covers.Or is it just felpro because there intake,s fit just fine.Help if you know anything I would like to finish up my clean up job but its down to the valve covers.any reply would be appreciated.Oh yea 2003 gm blazer 4.3 liter l/s 4x4 /QUOTE] Cant believe no one else hasnt run into this valve cover gasket problem Captain hook help me out here you aught to have run into this at one time or another.Like I said I tried two different parts stores Auto Zone and Car Quest then I went to Glen Grant Chevrolet parts dept and had the parts guy use a set of gm gaskets instead of being blue like felpro they were grey but still about a inch to big for the valve cover on my 2003 blazer l/s 4.3 liter vin #1GNDT13X- and as far as I know it is the original 4.3 made with that vehicle.

Old 12-25-2015, 01:20 AM
odat will become famous soon enough

#1 I had a he-- of a time reading your second post as you ran your quote into the question
My toy was built out of a 92 jimmy with a 4.3 - I bought my Felpro gaskets at Oriellys and they fit fine - part # VS50464R

Old 12-25-2015, 08:23 AM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by johnnylovsey
When I replaced my intake manifold gaskets I baught valve cover gaskets felpro but when inserted they were about 1 inch to long so I went to another parts store same thing so I went to gm dealership and let the parts guy try to install them same thing about 1 inch to long.any one else run into this and what can be done or are they all to big for the valve covers.Or is it just felpro because there intake,s fit just fine.Help if you know anything I would like to finish up my clean up job but its down to the valve covers.any reply would be appreciated.Oh yea 2003 gm blazer 4.3 liter l/s 4x4 S10
Did you mention each time you have a 2003 blazer?If G.M. can`t help you..Somethings wrong.Try another year blazer.Next time you go to the auto parts store,bring one of your valve covers and one of the old gaskets if you still have one.That way you can compare them to what your buying.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:27 PM
Default Valve cover gasgets

In response to toocute350 I was being serious I have worked on my blazer and everything else owned by myself and I wasn't joking about the valve cover gaskets I even took the cleaned up valve cover in to the parts stores and they looked up the same part number at both Car Quest and Auto zone then I took the valve cover and its gasket and grommets to glen Grant Chevrolet and the parts guy tried to fit a gasket from their shelves and darned if it wasn't the same as the other two now you may think that,s funny because you bought gaskets for your car and they fit.but that,s all I was trying to get was the same results for my stock gm blazer 2003 l/s 4x4 4.3 liter X series Engine so it says in the Vin number but wasn't so lucky.And as far as I know my engine is the stock one that came with the blazer when it was built.But for some reason the gaskets made to fit the valve covers are about a inch to long to fit in the valve cover and believe me I sure wish the first set of gaskets would have fit the valve covers because my job would now be done instead of being parochially done.

Last edited by johnnylovsey; 12-26-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:21 AM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by johnnylovsey
In response to toocute350 I was being serious I have worked on my blazer and everything else owned by myself and I wasn't joking about the valve cover gaskets I even took the cleaned up valve cover in to the parts stores and they looked up the same part number at both Car Quest and Auto zone then I took the valve cover and its gasket and grommets to glen Grant Chevrolet and the parts guy tried to fit a gasket from their shelves and darned if it wasn't the same as the other two now you may think that,s funny because you bought gaskets for your car and they fit.but that,s all I was trying to get was the same results for my stock gm blazer 2003 l/s 4x4 4.3 liter X series Engine so it says in the Vin number but wasn't so lucky.And as far as I know my engine is the stock one that came with the blazer when it was built.But for some reason the gaskets made to fit the valve covers are about a inch to long to fit in the valve cover and believe me I sure wish the first set of gaskets would have fit the valve covers because my job would now be done instead of being parochially done.
Never in my life have I heard of such a thing.Only thing you can do is keep trying.I seem to think that you may have a 3.8 liter v6.If your not the original owner, possibility the previous owner may have custom ordered the blazer when new.Try the 2003 3.8 liter v/6.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:22 PM

I just got on the Oriellys site and the 93 and down 4.3s show a different part number tor a valve cover gasket - With all the changes made too these engines over the years it could be a design change and maybe your heads were swapped at one time try Felpro part # VS50086R

Old 12-30-2015, 01:45 AM

ODAT I like your way of thinking but that is the same number for quite a few years including the one they tried to sell me, but in 1996 they built a new head for the 4.3 liter v6 vortex just like my 2003 but the valve cover has a different number for its gasket # VS50464R instead of the one every one said it had to be unless they changed engines or just the heads so the valve cover gasket number for the 2003 is VS50086R and that is the one I said all three parts stores looked up and it was about a inch to long for my valve cover.So hopefully I have 1996 heads in my 2003 because they built them better and then I can get on with the finish on my car now that i am done with the intake manifold gaskets.the oil change and the flush and refill with new antifreeze.But to go back and pull them apart after every thing is done isn't the way I wanted to do it but if I can finish the job I will do it any way I have to to finish it up.Oh by the way while going through that valve cover issue I went ahead and did the shocks all 4 and did the rear brake pads since the front ones are still like new.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:41 AM

for years a small block Chevy from the 265 thu the 350 was pretty much interchangeable except for the rods, pistons and cranks. then they changed the stance of the 350 and shortened the height. over the years the 4.3 emerged - built in two different plants - each plant had a different platform of the engine and each had its own changes to the motor sometimes in mid year. also they don't interchange with each other -even tho its a great little engine finding the right parts for a 4.3 can be a cra- shoot and frustrating - Trust me I feel your pain