2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Various minor repairs

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Beginning Member
returnofsid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Various minor repairs

Hi all,
Just joined this forum and have already read a TON of valuable information. Thanks!! Now I need some advice. I just purchased a 97 Blazer LT (used) obviously. It's got 111K miles on it but is in really good shape for an 11 year old vehicle.
Anyway, there's some minor things that need to be repaired. It has the dome cluster with temp, compass, est adn inst mpg, etc. Neither of the dome lamps are working. I'm hoping to find out that the bulbs are both burned out, but haven't figured out how to access the bulbs. I loosened the single screw that I can find and have slid the cover rearward as much as I can, but it doesn't seem to want to come off. I want to make sure I know how it comes off so I don't break anything.

Next repair needed, the front passenger turn signal is also burned out. I'll need to remove the battery to access this bulb and am wanting to make sure there's no precautions I need to take before disconnecting the battery. I know some vehicles require special steps done to computer before disconnecting computer.

Next, speaker in drivers side, rear door doesn't work. I'm thinking it's unplugged. Otherwise, I'd think you'd get some kind of noise or static from it. There's NOTHING. Looks like you access this by removing the door panel via a bolt under a plate in the handle. Just wanting to make sure.

Last, I need to replace the front passenger seat reclining handle. Not sure what it's technically called...lol. The handle that you pull to lay the seat back. I think I'll go to a "pull it yourself" yard here in town and look for it. Anything special I need to know before going on this venture?

Oh and one more thing, Looks like we'll be upgrading our stereo/cd player soon. Radio works great but burned CDs won't play. I'm assuming this stock CD player isn't Mp3, WMA compatible.

Just edited to ask yet another question. I was checking out all fluids yesterday and noticed that the Anti-freeze in it is green. Everything I've read says I have to use the Dexcool (sp) which I believe is orange. Is this going to cause problems? Do I need to get a coolant flush and replace it all?

Thanks for all the help, in advance. Any other suggestions or advice about this particular year or vehicle would be much appreciated!!

Old 06-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Beginning Member
Default RE: Various minor repairs

No advice??

Old 06-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Starting Member
danmiranda is an unknown quantity at this point

Holy Crap, sounds like you bought the same blazer I have...I have had most of those problems since I bought it. My new one is my mirror switch...

Anywho for Dome Lamps, First Pull out the Fuse for it, usually labeled Convience or something, don't remember offhand. Like almost every Chevy ever made, theres a plastic cover you can take off, and pull it right out. Becareful though. Go to your autostore and match it up, and replace, replace the cover, put the fuse back in. They get really hot fast.

The stock CD player isn't MP3 or WMA compatiable. I'd go with a new radio, fix everything at once. Your drivers side speaker, looking at it your betting its not plugged in. You could take the dash apart, two bolts above your gages. But keep reading, might save you the work. My radio was jacked up when I bought mine, so the speaker was blown and not plugged in. In additon it was miswired so my battery died constantly. Heres what I did, and it works, go to a place like circuit city, and buy a deck over $100, and get the free install. Then check everything! Make it thier problem, seriously, then they fix it for nothing - the cost of the speaker if blown.

As for your coolent, I've read through various topics, you'll be fine. There are guys that actually did a flush and put the normal green stuff in. Be thankful, actually the normal Dexcool supposedly damages your truck, theres a suit going on. I'd leave it, if its not affecting it, don't bother it.

As for your turn signal, which mine actually has a problem with unless I hit it, it doesn't work. Mine comes out with about 2 screws, are you sure? Make sure, you may not need to remove the battery at all.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Beginning Member

Last night, I found the two long screws that hold the entire headlamp assembly in place. Wouldn't ya know it, Schucks sold me the wrong bulbs. Oh well, at least I've got the bad bulb out now and know how to replace it.

Still haven't figured out the dome lamps. I have the type where you push the lens to turn it on or off. Removed just the lens but still can't get up in there to remove the bulb. Hmmm

CD player won't play normal CDs either so guess it's time for a new stereo. Looking at options now.

After posting the original post, did some reading on Dexcool. After all the reading I did, I'm glad I saw green instead of orange. Saves me the trouble of having to flush and replace myself...lol.

Thanks for your help. Hopefully other can chime in on the problems I haven't solved yet.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Please have some patience when waiting for help. There is no need to bump a post unless it has A) fallen off the 1st page of the section it resides in or B) been over 24 hours with no responses. Showing patience has a direct impact on involvement by others. We can't all be waiting by our computers for someone to post, but a lot of times, when impatience is displayed (whether intentional or otherwise), it turns off those that would normally respond. Just some food for thought.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Starting Member
danmiranda is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh you mean the little lights, two in front, two in back. I'll find out when I get home.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:08 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: danmiranda

Heres what I did, and it works, go to a place like circuit city, and buy a deck over $100, and get the free install. Then check everything! Make it thier problem, seriously, then they fix it for nothing - the cost of the speaker if blown.
I love when people like you come in and try to do this. The best part is when we figure out what you're doing, we pull the radio back out, leave the dash apart, and refuse service.

And step 1 of the install once the vehicle is in the bay is to test all the components and note what works/what doesn't.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:12 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: WolfPack
ORIGINAL: danmiranda
Heres what I did, and it works, go to a place like circuit city, and buy a deck over $100, and get the free install. Then check everything! Make it thier problem, seriously, then they fix it for nothing - the cost of the speaker if blown.
I love when people like you come in and try to do this. The best part is when we figure out what you're doing, we pull the radio back out, leave the dash apart, and refuse service.
And step 1 of the install once the vehicle is in the bay is to test all the components and note what works/what doesn't.
[sm=bustedsign.gif]
Oh the irony...

Old 06-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Beginning Member
Davis83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Having to "tap" signal lights to get them to work usually indicates loose bulb/socket connection. Mine have lithium grease in them and thatholds the bulbs in place - no vibrating loose. I suppose you could use dielectric grease too.

As for Dexcool - everyone has their own opinions. I personally use PrestoneExtended Life - compatible to all vehicles - all colors. I tend to place my trust in a true anti-freeze manufacturer with a long history.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

First off, I want to clarify that the dashboard, as well as the front-end assembly, changedin '98 -- so if the people giving you advice have '98+ trucks, their advice might not apply to you.

ORIGINAL: returnofsid
Neither of the dome lamps are working. I'm hoping to find out that the bulbs are both burned out, but haven't figured out how to access the bulbs. I loosened the single screw that I can find and have slid the cover rearward as much as I can, but it doesn't seem to want to come off. I want to make sure I know how it comes off so I don't break anything.
You said "dome lamps," but it sounds like you meanthe lamps inside the dash? The best way to do it is to remove the complete dashboard assembly. You start by removing all the bolts on the bottom, working your way up to the top,then remove the bolts on the plastic faceplate. Then the whole thing comes out. I haven't replaced any dash lights myself, but other people have said they're welded in, which means you may have to cut them out, then solder in the new ones.

Next repair needed, the front passenger turn signal is also burned out. I'll need to remove the battery to access this bulb and am wanting to make sure there's no precautions I need to take before disconnecting the battery. I know some vehicles require special steps done to computer before disconnecting computer.
I saw your later post about the bulb being wrong. I'm guessing you have composite headlights. During '95-97, some trucks came with composites, and others came with sealed beams (like mine). The kooky parts people should have known this and asked you before selling you the part. Just take it back for an exchange. As for the battery, I'm not sure exactly when GM's Theftlock thingstarted. If your radio doesn't say "Theftlock," then it should be safe to disconnect the battery without a problem. My '97 Grand Am had Theftlock, my '96 Blazerdoesn't, but my wife's '01 Jimmy does. Your best bet is to consult your manual to be sure. I remember that whenever I disconnected the battery from the Grand Am, I had to put in my passcode after reconnecting it. Fortunately I never forgot the code, or else the radio would have been disabled, thus requiring a stealership to fix it -- at a high cost, I'm sure.

Next, speaker in drivers side, rear door doesn't work. I'm thinking it's unplugged. Otherwise, I'd think you'd get some kind of noise or static from it. There's NOTHING. Looks like you access this by removing the door panel via a bolt under a plate in the handle. Just wanting to make sure.
Right-o. You must remove the panel, and yes, it's as easy as it looks. I had to do this in order to replace my mirror. Two tips: 1) If you can, replace the cheap plastic screw under the door handle with a metal self-threading one. 2) make sure the waterproofing is put back properly, or replace it with new stuff. This helps stop your door's innards from rusting later.

Last, I need to replace the front passenger seat reclining handle. Not sure what it's technically called...lol. The handle that you pull to lay the seat back. I think I'll go to a "pull it yourself" yard here in town and look for it. Anything special I need to know before going on this venture?
Somebody else on this site pointed us to an online store that sells handles that are a better quality than the factory ones: www.wittydeals.com. My driver's side one has been broken since we've had the truck, and I plan to buy a set of these as soon as I have the extra cash. They cost a little, but you probably will never have to replace them again.

Oh and one more thing, Looks like we'll be upgrading our stereo/cd player soon. Radio works great but burned CDs won't play. I'm assuming this stock CD player isn't Mp3, WMA compatible.
Don't know the answer to that one. LOL

Just edited to ask yet another question. I was checking out all fluids yesterday and noticed that the Anti-freeze in it is green. Everything I've read says I have to use the Dexcool (sp) which I believe is orange. Is this going to cause problems? Do I need to get a coolant flush and replace it all?
What the previous guy said. Someone flushed out the Dexcool. This has been a big subject of debate on the Forum -- and no, I'm not going to argue about it now. LOL. (But I will say that mine has nothing but pure green stuff in it now. )Just be sure to only use the green stufffrom now on, unless you THOROUGHLY flush it out first.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Various minor repairs