2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Washer bottle replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 04:05 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Washer bottle replacement

Hey everyone. Is there a book procedure for replacing the windshield washer bottle? I noticed that it is just one bolt? How do I get the washer hoses off without breaking them? I bought another one on eBay because the original one is leaking out the bottom. Thanks.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:09 PM
UberFail is on a distinguished road

they're rubber hoses - same procedure as any other rubber hose really (twist n pull to release) i don't break them when i pull them from vehicles in the yard what so ever and i've even "stretched" the lines on some to twice the length yet they sit normal afterwards lol

Old 01-08-2011, 01:19 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

I finished the bottle replacement tonight and it was easier than I originally thought. Thanks.

Only difficulty on this was loosening the cold air intake to remove the tank. I also had to remove the cover to the fuse box, but that was a non-issue.

The confusing part was that there was NO OBVIOUS DAMAGE OR CRACK on the old tank that would suggest where the fluid was dripping out. It was originally dripping out the lower plastic "finger" that goes through the hole in the wheelwell, losing about 1/4 of the tank overnight and leaving a puddle on the ground.

There is no leak at all in the new tank. The problem is fixed. The new tank came with the 2 pumps, so I didn't reuse the old ones in case the pumps were the real problem. I did save them in case I need the spare parts in the future. I'd rather have a potentially leaking pump than a nonworking one in case the new pumps fail.

However, the job is not fully complete. I do have to replace the section of hose between the bottle and the nozzles on the hood since a crack formed a few months ago that I had to make an emergency patch with JB Weld and duct tape to prevent it from shorting out the ABS module and fuse box. It worked, but I'd rather fix it properly. What is the usual type and size for this hose? Thanks for the help.