2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Weird 4x4 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Starting Member
mossy is on a distinguished road
Default Weird 4x4 Problem

Hi Everyone,

This appears to be a rather knowledgeable forum, so I'll give my problem a whirl.

We have a 2004 Chevy Blazer (S-10?) 4x4. We bought it 4 years ago with 15k miles, now has 120k, and has NEVER had one major problem.

Currently the issue is this. The "check engine light" (go pay a mechanic a lot of money you don't have for a quick fix light) is on, but the car runs with no issues in 2x4.

We used to be able to hit the 4-Hi button on the fly when in drive as long as the gas pedal wasn't pressed. This no longer works, as the lights don't blink, and it doesn't appear to even try. We have to put it in N before pressing either of the 4x4 lights before any action takes place.

A couple of different things can take place. If I hit the 4-hi button while in N, the lights will blink on both 4-Hi and Lo, then switch back to 2x4. You can hear it "trying" to go into gear. If we hit the 4-Lo button, it will usually work.

Over the weekend we were up on a mountain road and once got it to go into 4-Hi, but any subsequent tries to do this failed.

A quick google search suggested disconnecting the battery, waiting ten minutes, then reconnecting to magically fix the issue. Can any harm be done by trying this and having it work? I've noticed this forum doesn't recommend this method, so what advice would you give?

I'm not very mechanically inclined, but I'd like to try and fix this without shelling out a kidney.

Btw, it's red if that helps

Mossy

Old 01-02-2011, 01:47 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

if the Check engine light is on, and you use the odo in miles, im gonna guess you are in the US.. if that the case have your codes read (for free) at an auto parts store. Schucks (O'reilly), NAPA, Autozone, all of those style stores will pull your code, or trade you id for the code reader so you can pull em in the parking lot.

the battery method is not reccomended since it does not actually correct the problem. all it does it let the brain reset. this will also wipe some chekc engine lights

is your button set up a 3 or 4 button? you never mentioned 4 auto, so i guess 3?

there are some eay things to check before paying for stuff...
1) behind you passenger side kick pannel (front p side) there is a TCCM (4wd brain) pop the connection off of it (after disco the battery) and check for corrosion on the connections; clean as needed
2) check 4x4 switch. it doesnt sound like it, but they can fail...
3) trace your vaccuum lines. i'm willing to bet you have some cracked, split, or dry rotted lines that are sapping vac power so you cant shift... also look for open/disconnected lines
4) the accuator lives under the batter. remove battery and tray and take a peak at the rubber boot. is it checwed up or eatten by corrosion?

there are a lot of other trouble shooting methods that can be used the further you get into this. those are the big 4. use search if any of that doesnt make sense

gl and keep us posted on your progress!

**edit** sorry thats so hard to read, i was hurrying

Last edited by ABN31B; 01-02-2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: MAN, i suck at typing
Old 01-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Starting Member
mossy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick reply ABN!

I'll check out these items and keep you posted.