2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Weird AC blower after bypassing the Heater core

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 10:35 PM
sy24 is on a distinguished road
Post Weird AC blower after bypassing the Heater core

Dear All,
Couple month ago I noticed there was air clogged sound in my dash and after searching in this forum those sound was comming from my leak heater core. Last week the heater core was realy2 broken and I have to bypass it to avoid collant steam blowing in my AC. I did not plug the collant but connected both hose 3/4 and 5/8 to ensure the coolant keep circulating. I did not took the heater core out since I donot want to open my dash, I flushed and clean the heater core then plug the connector on he firewall with rubber pipe. (Done and now more collant leak problem)

Then I noticed after no heat in the heater core the AC is getting cold but is affecting the blower. I have tryed to put in max speed and air blow to the passender (not the automatic one) but after a while the air speed getting low. I hear the blower sound on max speed but recirculating in some place behind the dasboard (passenger side).

currently, the air blowing from the AC in the first row passenger is okay but not for the second row (especially in mid temp 80 F (outside) condition).

Is the problem normal since I have AC with comp climate system so whenever reach the desire temp then the blower automatically reduced ? or do you have an advise to solve my problem or how to make a modification to extend the blower blowing in high speed until the desire temp in the 2nd row passenger reached.

please note that I will not replace the heater core since I do not need it. Here the temp between 77 to 96 deg F all the times.

Thanks in Advance.
Suryo | 2000 Vortec Blazer V6 4.4 L |Sumatera - Indonesia

Old 08-10-2011, 10:52 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

I cant see how the heater core would have anything to do with that problem. I cant find anything about air ducting to 2nd row but there is a reference to a 'purge mode'
Moisture tends to accumulate in the ECC module assembly after the engine has been turned off. When the engine is restarted and the A/C system turns ON, this moisture may be expelled from the panel outlets toward the front seat occupants.

During startup, the heater and ECC module inspects for indications that this condition may occur. If this condition occurs, the ECC module performs the following actions:

• Positions the A/C door in order to direct air toward the floor
  • Operates the blower
The ECC module then resumes normal system operation.
If that's what you see, I think the problem might correct itself in time. If not the ECC board or sensor should be replaced as it may have been damaged by glycols or you can find that moisture sensor and clean it with circuit board cleaner