2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

well....she finally died on me HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Starting Member
BresBlazy will become famous soon enough
Default well....she finally died on me HELP!

So, its been raining like crazy here and as I have said before alot of sputtering and problems at 2500 rpms around 20-30 mph....ONLY WHEN WET OUT....so I did not drive it for the weekend, started it monday OR TRIED TO and it would not, lights come on, would act like it wanted to start but wouldnt....after a few attempts it now will not start....goes from sounding like it will to clicking....now the dash lights will clicker, gas gage not working, I can hear the fuel pump engage....UG!!!!

I have thought there was an alternator issue from day one but was told probably not....I need help, I have two weeks to figure this out or I wont have a way to work, im freakin out here!

In the last 5 months I have replaced

Injector
fuel filter
oil filter
spark plugs
plug cables
cleaned the MAF
used a injector cleaner in the tank
I wd40'd the cap and plugs

ANY advice would be awesome...thanks guys.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:59 AM
UberFail is on a distinguished road

the batt could have crapped out on u and lost charge, the wetness outside could also have gotten into some wires to cause a short or sorts to drain your battery too. that'd be my first guess as far as ur inability to start. give it a boost and see if that helps u or if u have a volt/multimeter check and see if it has 10-12 volts power before starting?

Old 12-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Starting Member

it had 12 volts friday....I really dont think its the batt, ALSO, how the hell do I jump my truck, theres no room to hook the cables on! they slip right off.
The boot on the alternator is loose and does not stay on well.

ignition coil?

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-21-2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member yet to respond.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:31 AM
UberFail is on a distinguished road

sry haven't had to jump mine yet or use it to boost others with so i'm not too sure about the spacing myself heh. btw if its been raining and moisture has gotten into the wires to make a connection that 12v on friday could be 6v now. i'm not too familiar with this type of vehicle yet sry so i really don't have much more than that for an answer. altho i do remember on my one car - GM Made - the bastard would be fine for power until i went to start it due to a crappy connection on the positive cable on the batt...

Old 12-21-2010, 12:40 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

theres a schraeder valve behind the TB. unscrew the cap, press the valve down, and see if gas squirts out. everytime ive had a no-start has been fuel related. the fact you hear the pump is a good thing, so next I would check fuel pressure/filter.

last time I got my pump changed, the mechanic had me dump out some old gas out of the old filter and it was jet black.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by blazinloud
theres a schraeder valve behind the TB. unscrew the cap, press the valve down, and see if gas squirts out. everytime ive had a no-start has been fuel related. the fact you hear the pump is a good thing, so next I would check fuel pressure/filter.

last time I got my pump changed, the mechanic had me dump out some old gas out of the old filter and it was jet black.

I checked fuel pressure and changed the fuel filter not 3 months ago. pressure was good.......

I should mention....I went through a pretty big puddle friday after work, did not drive it all weekend....monday, no start.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Starting Member
FOGEL is on a distinguished road

same exact thing happened to me, my battery went to **** because there was a hole it the insulation on a wire. get a new batt and look for any loose or old wires and replace them

Old 12-21-2010, 01:59 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

have you tried boosting it?

Old 12-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Starting Member

ignition switch?

Originally Posted by blazinloud
have you tried boosting it?
Boosting? you mean jumping? thats a problem too....the connectors have nothing to grab onto for the jumper cables...theywont stay on.

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-21-2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member yet to respond.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Going through water could have put moisture into your distributor. I have seen this cause a no start in the past.

Quick Reply: well....she finally died on me HELP!