2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Starting Member
sasquatchfound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is this?

Can any one tell me this wire is for? it's on my 95 blazer. Also what is this black box in the second pic?

Thanks

Old 07-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: What is this?

Looks like maybe an ambient air temp sensor??? Do you have any better pictures?

Old 07-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Starting Member

I will try to take a better pic. And what is an ambient air temp. sensor.

Thanks

Old 07-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

outside air temperature sensor... Senses the temperature of the outside air... Typically this is clipped to the latch support in front of the radiator. That is if I am correct...

Old 07-05-2007, 11:29 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

I agree on the air temperature thing, it looks like the one on my truck. As for the box in the rear I am not sure what it is but I think I have one on my truck too, maybe has something to do with the fuel deliver system or airbag stuff or something. No exact idea.

-Lenny

Old 07-06-2007, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Box in the back is the charcoal canister. Traps gasoline fumes to keep them from exiting the system.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:51 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Oh, had no idea. Thats sort of sweet I guess. Is there any way that that might malfunction and cause gaus fume smell while driving? Or would that be something else.

-Lenny

Old 07-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Starting Member

by saying charcoil canister, you mean the evap right?

Thanks

Old 07-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Technically yes. It is the EVAP canister. It contains charcoal or activated carbon.

Evaporative Emission Control System - General Information

The purpose of the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) control system is to prevent the fuel vapors from escaping into the atmosphere. The EVAP transfers the fuel vapor from the sealed fuel tank to an activated carbon, or charcoal, storage device, or EVAP canister. The EVAP canister stores the vapors until the engine is able to use the extra fuel vapor.

When the engine is able to use the extra fuel vapor, the intake air flow purges the fuel vapor from the carbon element, and then the normal combustion process consumes the fuel vapor.

The system is designed to detect the evaporative fuel system leaks as small as 0.040 of an inch between the fuel filler cap and the purge solenoid. The system can test the evaporative system integrity by applying a vacuum to the fuel tank in order to create a small vacuum. The Vehicle Control Module (VCM) then used the fuel tank pressure sensor to determine system integrity.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Administrator

What was the code..? Very rarely is the canister at fault for any of the EVAP codes...