2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

What the...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:15 PM
steve_in_ga is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What the...

The past couple of days the battery has been dragging in the morning so today I went to the parts house to get the battery checked. It showed bad as I suspected so I replaced it. When the guy asked me what year I told him 2003 (wifes truck not mine). Well after I installed the new battery, it will not idle with the air running. When the compressor kicks on, the engine just about stalls and the compressor kicks back off. Well its really a 2004 not 2003. Is it possible I have the wrong battery that is causing this idle problem? Is there a way to pull the trouble codes without a scanner on a 2004 blazer? Compressor kicking on and off leads me to believe the freon may be low?

Any and all help appreciated.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:02 PM
blazin8556 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: What the...

its the same battery across the board. (i work at autozone) also if the freon in the compressor is to low or too high the compressor will not come on. its a saftey measure the compressor takes to protect it self and in a high pressure situation, people.have the alternator checked as well. if it is ok your should take it to a shop. and as far as the codes, autozone should be able to pull the code with their obd 2 scanner and atleast give you a print out. and you could look it up online, and/ or take it to a shop and show them the print out to make sure of the problem.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:07 PM

The clutch/compressor is kicking on about every 5-10 seconds and then stops immediately. Everytime it kicks on it nearly stalls the engine. Could it be a relay somewhere going bad?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Old 12-16-2008, 10:50 PM
bgillette78 is an unknown quantity at this point

When my a/c was doing that it had a leak. When it got low it would come on for a couple second and then turn off. I took it in and the low pressure hose had a leak and the compressor itself had a leak after that all was well.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:30 AM
Starting Member
Kage0113 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd also say low freon. Mine did the exact same thing, came on then immediately off. When the compressor comes on and off it changes the idle speed.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:46 AM

Does it take R134? I think I have a can at the house I could shoot in and see if it makes a difference.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:00 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it does.