2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Beginning Member
pghz26 is on a distinguished road
Default What is this?

about 2 weeks ago i hit a deer going about 50 mph. so im in the process of ripping apart and trying to see what needs to be fixed or replaced. i took the shroud off from around the fan and there was a hose atached to the bottom piece of the shroud. it looks like it has been broken off from some piece of plastic. but i cant figure out what it was connected to. cant see and missing hoses or anything. the hose is located on the passenger side somewhere. ill post a picture below and maybe someone will know what it belongs to. it doesnt seem to be affecting anything. it runs fine and isnt leaking anything. it is a 99 4door 4x4. any help will be appreciated. thanks!

Attached Thumbnails What is this?-2011-06-22_19-09-26_845.jpg   What is this?-2011-06-22_19-09-40_705.jpg  
Old 06-23-2011, 12:09 PM
TouringMike is on a distinguished road

Probably from the smog pump (secondary air pump).
Mounted on the passenger side, by bottom of radiator, between the radiator and engine. It pumps air into the exhaust to reduce emissions.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That's what it is! AIR pump intake tube. Looks like the nipple broke off of the pump housing. You should be able to use some epoxy to reattach it if the rest of the pump is still in functional condition.