2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

What Chips REALLY WORKS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 08:51 PM
Beginning Member
TheDevilsDaddy is on a distinguished road
Default What Chips REALLY WORKS?

I have read that ebay chips are a joke and don't waste my time BUT with that said, what chips can I get to increase mileage and horsepower on my 97 Blazer? I'm sure there are topics already posted but I am not familiar how to find these topics on this site..... any education here is appreciated! Thx

Old 07-30-2015, 09:28 PM
Starting Member
No false Bravada is on a distinguished road

If I remember correctly, chips are made to trick the PCM into thinking something is different, a PCM tune changes that altogether. Chips like the ones I'm thinking you're talking about are the ones that you leave plugged into the obd port, or a "piggyback" tune. Or add ons, like the throttle position sensor mod that tricks the PCM into thinking that at 70% throttle, it's actually at WOT. Some of them can potentially be harmful.

My suggestion is a PCM or dyno tune to get the most out of it.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:43 AM
Beginning Member
TheDevilsDaddy is on a distinguished road

Thx for the response and I figured that the cheap chips and goodies from eBay were junk. I did a little research and ya have to be careful because idiots swear by them and how great they increase mileage and horsepower and maybe some do work but its not worth the chance I guess. I see warnings that these mod's are junk and I see how good they work but I think I'll just stay away and try what you suggested.... PCM or dyno tune! Thx again!

Old 07-31-2015, 09:03 PM
Starting Member
No false Bravada is on a distinguished road

No problem. A proper dyno tune is the best way, I'd think. Then, they have the vehicle with all of its equipment and everything there for the tune to be absolutely correct.
A dyno tune can get you the best possible mileage, power or whatever else you want, in conjunction with whatever mods or hardware you have.

I bought my Bravada from a guy who had it as a project vehicle. He put a ported throttle body on it, with stage 1 heads and a PCM tune. It's not the fastest, but I'll bet its faster than stock. Anyway, if he only put the throttle body and heads on with no tune, it could only do so much with the stock tune.

But yeah, stay away from the "This is the best!!!!1!!1! I put this on and got 15 mpg and 150hp!" Crap. Including the cold air intakes. Those have absolutely no effect on these vehicles other than changing the look and sound.