Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

hypertech superchips jet chips. are they ok?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 01:16 AM
2001blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hypertech superchips jet chips. are they ok?

hey guys im looking into a chip for my truck but im not sure if i want to do this i dont want it to hurt anything on my truck and i want to make sure its not a waste of money any feedback would be great thanks

Old 11-07-2006, 01:27 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: hypertech superchips jet chips. are they ok?

Well, that all depends on what you want do happen... A hypertech tuner is a less restrictive tune than the factory programming and it is quick and easy to apply. I do believe there are other hand-held tuners that are also available, but you'd need to read reviews from people with your specific vehicle to get a grasp of which one is better.

There is always the option to have a custom PCM tune done, but unless you have a tuner close by, most require that you send in your stock PCM to have it modified.

And if you want to get hardcore and have some mods that require a tune to run properly, there is always the custom dyno tune where the tuner would modify the values to make max hp for YOUR engine and mods using a dyno to verify the changes and monitor the systems more closely to make sure that you won't have problems from the tune.

Old 11-07-2006, 02:14 AM
Starting Member
Brian J. Lesko is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend is a diesel mechanic for Ford. He said that a lot of the aftermarket chips available for diesel engines will shorten the life of the engines if not installed properly. A lot of them require mods to the exhaust and/or intake systems. You also may need to change oil and filters more often. I'm guessing that modifying a gasoline engine is not much different. You're just going to have to read up on the different products that are available.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:01 PM
blazinblack is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a 94 s10 blazer with the cpi motor and im looking for a chip i have headers and a k&n intake with a 180 thermostat and a obd1. what would be a chip thats most worth my money?

Old 02-21-2007, 06:56 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: Brian J. Lesko

My friend is a diesel mechanic for Ford. He said that a lot of the aftermarket chips available for diesel engines will shorten the life of the engines if not installed properly. A lot of them require mods to the exhaust and/or intake systems. You also may need to change oil and filters more often. I'm guessing that modifying a gasoline engine is not much different. You're just going to have to read up on the different products that are available.
Tuning a diesel is a completely different can of worms...

I like my Hypertech Programmer III, it's given me more power (The engine doesn't lug in 5th gear @ 1000RPM anymore) and it seems like mileage has improved (probably because I can actually use 5th gear at 50km/h instead of 4th)

The nice thing about the Hypertech Programmer, is that some models offer tuning for 87 octane as well as 93 octane... It's nice to get a little better performace without having to spend the extra money on premium fuel...