2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

What is this thing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 06:14 PM
Tesroc42 is on a distinguished road
Default What is this thing?

2001 Jimmy
This thing is leaking oil, the top of it spins, and it is right beside the transmission dipstick along the firewall. I assume it's leaking oil because it has fresh oil on it but I could be wrong.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:55 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I believe that is the vent line for the transmission. If not, then someone moved the vent line from the transfer case. Check your tranny fluid level and check to see if that is tranny fluid coming out. My guess without knowing more is your tranny is getting hot or your level is too high.

Old 12-01-2022, 07:53 AM
Tesroc42 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by AJBert
I believe that is the vent line for the transmission. If not, then someone moved the vent line from the transfer case. Check your tranny fluid level and check to see if that is tranny fluid coming out. My guess without knowing more is your tranny is getting hot or your level is too high.
Thanks. I have an oil leak problem as I can smell oil burning all the time, and this whole area is covered in oil. The only fresh oil that I can see is coming from this little vent thing. Either it is leaking or it is being sprayed onto it. So I will investigate it further today.

Old 12-02-2022, 09:23 AM
Beginning Member
martybgood is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like the vent for the transfer case. Probably tranny fluid. Does your 4wd work?

Old 12-15-2022, 07:57 AM
GTEn is on a distinguished road

Only 4wdlow and 2wd

Old 12-15-2022, 08:03 AM

I also noted that one vaacumtobe from the left side turning to the right side of the engine and going underand its boken, and I dont know where,

Old 12-15-2022, 08:18 AM

As I told I have a broken vacuumtube I have the end near the engine with full vacuum (plugd) and were is the tubes end?

Old 12-15-2022, 10:54 AM
Beginning Member
martybgood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vacuum Diagram

Old 02-08-2023, 09:32 PM
2gen2door is on a distinguished road

That's the transmission and transfer case vent. If your transmission isn't over filled, id assume the transmission leaks into the transfer case and it over fills and pukes out through that vent hose. I mention this because its a problem I need to fix on my blazer.

Old 02-09-2023, 06:27 AM
Walleye Hunter will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 2gen2door
That's the transmission and transfer case vent. If your transmission isn't over filled, id assume the transmission leaks into the transfer case and it over fills and pukes out through that vent hose. I mention this because its a problem I need to fix on my blazer.
And what is the cure for that?

Quick Reply: What is this thing?