2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

What winter and summer tires are you running?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 12:42 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Note the OP has a 2WD Blazer, so the 4WD tires are not what he is asking about.

It's my opinion that with modern tires, changing them for driving in the winter on snowy/slick roads is quite unnecessary. Unless you have a specific reason to get something else (like off roading or high speed capability), just get a normal passenger tire with the highest traction rating (AA) and run them year-round. I had some Goodyears with AA traction rating once on a FWD car and they were great in the Winter (noticeably better). Tread wear is pretty much a non-issue anymore - tires seems to last forever.

If you really want traction issues, try a 2WD short wheel base 2008 Ford Ranger like my wife has (successfully) driven in the Winter for the last 6 years (we have lake effect snow here in South Bend, Indiana). Eight or so bags of softerner salt helps, though! :-)

Check this link out for deciphering tire ratings and let that guide your choices in tires.

What All the Numbers Mean - How Tires Work

Last edited by LesMyer; 11-14-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:00 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I run michelin ltx m/s year round, they work great in the summer, and even in 15+" of snow.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:50 PM
sweathog is on a distinguished road

I run dedicated winter tires in the winter, all seasons just don't cut it imho. Have run both. That said depends on where you live.

By dedicated snow tires that means that it has the snowflake logo on it here in Canada, I run the winter tire but they are also studded.

You can have the best winter tire in the world, don't help much on black ice. Again depends where you are, how industrious the road cleaning crews are, the greater the population the better kept the roads are.

Off road on some seldom used secondary roads, a winter tire or all season with a set of chains if you need it.

Last edited by sweathog; 11-14-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:20 PM
Starting Member
Blazin00LT is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Note the OP has a 2WD Blazer, so the 4WD tires are not what he is asking about.

It's my opinion that with modern tires, changing them for driving in the winter on snowy/slick roads is quite unnecessary. Unless you have a specific reason to get something else (like off roading or high speed capability), just get a normal passenger tire with the highest traction rating (AA) and run them year-round. I had some Goodyears with AA traction rating once on a FWD car and they were great in the Winter (noticeably better). Tread wear is pretty much a non-issue anymore - tires seems to last forever.

If you really want traction issues, try a 2WD short wheel base 2008 Ford Ranger like my wife has (successfully) driven in the Winter for the last 6 years (we have lake effect snow here in South Bend, Indiana). Eight or so bags of softerner salt helps, though! :-)

Check this link out for deciphering tire ratings and let that guide your choices in tires.

What All the Numbers Mean - How Tires Work
There is no specific tire that says it is for a 4wd only. If it fits the wheel well/rim it will go down the road with no issues.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:29 AM
Starting Member
jimhens82 is on a distinguished road

just put the good ol goodyear wrangler radials on mine for the winter, so far off road they dig and clean them selves out pretty good, just waiting on the snow... then play time!!!!

Old 11-15-2014, 10:51 AM

In some jurisdictions, namely Quebec winter tires are now mandatory, many other jurisdictions are pondering it.

From wiki

"
Snow tires are tires designed for use in colder weather, snow and ice. Snow chains can be a slower-speed, temporary alternative in snowy conditions. Studded tires can greatly reduce skidding and accidents on snow or ice covered roads.[1]
Snow tires have more sipes than summer tires, increasing traction on snow and ice, but reducing grip on dry and wet roads.[2] Tires designed for winter conditions are optimized to drive at temperatures below 7 °C (45 °F).
In much of Scandinavia, Canada, and the US, snow tires may have metal studs to improve grip on packed snow or ice, but such tires are prohibited in certain other jurisdictions because of the damage they cause to the road surface.[3] The metal studs are fabricated by encapsulating a hard pin in a softer material. The pin is often made of tungsten carbide, a very hard high performance ceramic. The softer base is the part that anchors the stud in the rubber of the tire. As the tire wears with use, the softer base wears so that its surface is at about the same level as the rubber, whereas the hard pin wears so that it continues to protrude from the tire. The pin should protrude at least 1 mm for the tire to function properly.[4] Snow tires do not eliminate skidding on ice and snow, but they greatly reduce risks.[5]

Those that want to read the whole article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_tire

Old 11-15-2014, 12:47 PM
Hasbro is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sweathog
I run dedicated winter tires in the winter, all seasons just don't cut it imho. Have run both. That said depends on where you live.

By dedicated snow tires that means that it has the snowflake logo on it here in Canada, I run the winter tire but they are also studded.

You can have the best winter tire in the world, don't help much on black ice. Again depends where you are, how industrious the road cleaning crews are, the greater the population the better kept the roads are.

Off road on some seldom used secondary roads, a winter tire or all season with a set of chains if you need it.
Exactly this. Where I live, there's even laws about what kind of itres you need to run in the winter. I'm in BC - last year you needed a snowflake logo, they relaxed it a bit this year to include M+S. I have Michelin LTX M/S but they didn't cut it here - I couldn't come to a complete stop if there was snow on my road. haha It's quite steep and doesn't get ploughed too often. Such is the way of life when you live in a rural area high in the mountains!

Old 11-15-2014, 01:54 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

I ran BFG Radial TAs on my El Camino year round and they worked really well in snow
the tread is open enough to clean itself even in the greasiest of conditions

I often see"ICE" rated tires but the tread usually looks more like a summer tire IMO and no not work well in snow in my experience

I used Hercules Avalanche on my Civic and was never concerned driving is deep snow
Again a decently open tread that cleared itself

Old 11-22-2014, 05:19 PM
Beginning Member
StarBlazing is on a distinguished road
Default Just an update

just an update.
It snowed here the past week with an inch or two on the ground.

I drove my Audi 5000 Quattro around the neighborhood in just AWD mode (in this mode any one of the 4 wheels can spin) and I could barely spin a tire with my Michelin X-ice studless snow tires. Turning, braking, and accelerating all had very good traction.

I then backed out the 2WD Blazer and drove on the same streets.
When I first backed out I put it into drive at idle and both rear tires would spin and I would slowly move ahead. That was the first hint of the snow test results. After I get the Blazer moving the ABS quickly come on with even light braking. Turning with just a little power it would slide.
I cannot have wifey driving it like that.

So after Thanksgiving I will get some P235/75R15 DM-V1 Bridgestone Blizzaks and report back to everyone on the results.

BTW - I could really do some great donuts with the Blazer.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:12 PM

Was running toyo ice tires of my Z71 pickup for awhile. Think they were G2's or 3s. Yes ice tires work great on packed snow and ice. Again it depends what your doing with them. One day it rained the night before then froze, everyone was in the ditch except me.

Worked great around the towns, an areas between them. However one weekend hooked up my car carrier, loaded with 4 skidoos and traveled about 50 miles in 6 inches of snow.

Barely made it, cause too much snow for ice-tires, was serious thinking of dropping the trailer and continuing by skidoo.

Ahh hell, still looking for the perfect tire. Have studs on 3 vehicles. Nordic winter Goodyear with studs on the blazer. Also find a narrower tire a 225 instead of a 235 helps alot with these top heavy blazers. imho. (It comes down to the money I guess think it was $120.00 each for the blazer.)

Last edited by sweathog; 11-23-2014 at 02:17 PM.

Quick Reply: What winter and summer tires are you running?