2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

wheel bearing on 2000 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 08:25 PM
squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wheel bearing on 2000 blazer

i have my left front wheel making noise, the tire wore bald on the inside. i changed it and had the new one ballanced. i took my blazer to have the front end checked for the alignment, it is perfectly straight. it makes a loud road noise sound when you drive it.people i talked to say it is the bearings. any advice would be helpful in repairs.

Old 11-08-2005, 08:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: wheel bearing on 2000 blazer

If only one side was worn, it sounds like you have a ball joint that is completely out of whack... When they aligned it, did they check the camber? It sounds like that wheel is riding too much on the inside edge which would be negative camber. I'm not sure what the specified camber value is (probably a degree or 2 negative), but if you are getting some bad wear on the inside edge, it's either the camber way negative or the alignment is off and you have eliminated the alignment. If the shop did not check the camber, find another shop!!! And do it quick because you'll ruin another tire if you wait.

Old 11-09-2005, 07:25 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: wheel bearing on 2000 blazer

A grinding noise is a common noise complaint for bad bearings. Does the noise go away when you turn one direction? Another common sign its a ball joint. Most time you can feel a loose bearing. Jack the front end off the ground and place it on jack stands.
Grap the tire in the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. Gentle push on the left hand and pull on the right hand, reverse push pull. Rock the tire back and forth like this. IF you feel movement, bearing. Some movement is normal, 1/16" total slop. Could also be a ball joint or tie rod, have someone watch those parts while you rock it back and forth. Ball joints will move if they are bad, no movement at all is good. IF the tierod is bad it will also move. If your not comfortable with this, take it back to the alignment shop and have them do a free front end check. They will tell you what is wrong and more then likely will give you an estimat to fix it.

If you want to fix it yourself. Post-up. We can walk you through it.

I forewarn you, the bearing in the s-series are not cheap. Its a hub assembly. However they are easy to replace, and its not a messy job. With the right tools and know how, it can be done within 1/2hr.