Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Wheel Bearing noise.... It isn't the wheel bearings(?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 07:48 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Wheel Bearing noise.... It isn't the wheel bearings(?)

Hi everyone. I am getting the common wheel bearing drone that increases with vehicle speed, but here is the problem: I don't think it is the wheel bearings. Here is why I think that:

1. They were just replaced in April less than 4,000 miles ago. This is this truck's 3rd set of wheel bearings. The current ones are Carquest brand.

2. The last ones only lasted 13 months/14,000 miles (Carquest brand) before developing play and setting an ABS code. Possible explanation was over torqued axle nuts since the ABS code only set after another axle seal was replaced and they used the factory specs to torque that nut (At that time, it was too loose to make the sensor work since it wore out). They said it was near impossible to remove when they began to take it apart.

3. The original ones were replaced at 88k.

4. The truck just passed the NYS Inspection last Friday with the only problem being a corner turn signal bulb, which was replaced.

5. After the inspection, the mechanic told me that the front end is tight 3 times.

6. After the inspection, one of the front axle seals was replaced (not part of the inspection. That was the main reason I was at the shop.). When I did the oil change a couple days later and I checked it, it was a little low but it didn't take much to make it overfill.

7. Earlier, I jacked up each front wheel one at a time with the tire change jack in the trunk (only thing I have for getting a wheel off the ground. I use RAMPS for oil changes. Laugh if you want.) and felt no play at all up and down. I thought I could feel play when I grabbed the tire (the tread flexing almost felt like wheel play), I grabbed the wheel spokes and felt no play. Ball joints are new or only a couple years old (and the suspension angle is wrong to check them), so any play there would be from the bearings.

8. Not sure if it is the front axle, but the Posi-Lock is hard to engage as usual and it makes the noise whether it is in 2WD with the axle unlocked, 2WD with the axle locked or 4WD with the axle locked. Axle engagement has no bearing on the noise. Fluid has always been topped up and changed frequently.

9. It isn't as loud as the normal "replace wheel bearing soon" noise and the noise doesn't change in turns, but at slow speeds and making tight turns in a parking lot, I can hear the front tires making noise turning in both directions.

What else could it be? Only thing I could think of is that the tires haven't been rotated since Spring (that is getting done Thursday). I had the brakes checked to see if they were dragging and they didn't find anything wrong. I did notice months ago that the left front tire has more resistance than the right tire and the mechanic said that was normal. The CV Axles are only a couple years old with intact boots. Both of them (and the wheel bearings) were removed to replace 2 oil seals (first one a few months ago, second one last week) and they would have noticed a problem. The Posi-Lok I ruled out because the front driveshaft locks and unlocks properly and is totally free in 2WD mode.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:01 AM
bbaile13` is on a distinguished road

On my Lumina Ltz I also replaced all wheel bearing, still a rough loud noise...then I upgraded to aftermarket rims and tires and the noise went away instantly..Could be your tires...

Old 08-25-2011, 01:05 AM

I did a test drive on the interstate. The noise is the most audible between 30 and 40 mph. Beyond that, the wind noise takes over. When I had bad wheel bearings a few months ago, the noise started at 10-15mph. I took it up to high speeds and it was stable and I couldn't hear the original noise over the wind. I could even carry out a conversation over my Bluetooth without yelling (can't do that with wheel bearing noise). I rechecked the front end play and it is as tight as hell. No play at all. I checked the tire pressure and it was a bit low (30-32psi hot), so I took it up to 34.5PSI (tire's max is 35). The tires are getting rotated tomorrow, so hopefully what is making the noise with the front tires will not be the same as the rear tires. They still have alot of tread on them, so it will be a while before I can get new ones. They are cheap Goodyear Wrangler Radials ($75 each from Walmart, but I paid $105 each at a tire shop. Rip offs) P235/75R15 . I asked for all-terrain tires and they give me those. Far from all-terrain. I stopped going to that shop because they were the ones who put the last set of wheel bearings on last year and screwed me on the warranty by replacing the wrong one and then lying about it and refusing to fix it. I had to have the other one replaced at my expense elsewhere.

EDIT: Would out of balance tires cause this? Maybe I should ask the shop to rebalance them when they rotate them in the AM.

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 08-25-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:46 PM

UPDATE: I had the tires rotated and rebalanced and it is a bit quieter, but I will need to drive it some more before I can give a solid verdict on that. The tires were a bit out of balance.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:59 PM
chevroletfan is on a distinguished road
Default wheel bearing noise but maybe not.

Originally Posted by ComputerNerdBD
I did a test drive on the interstate. The noise is the most audible between 30 and 40 mph. Beyond that, the wind noise takes over. When I had bad wheel bearings a few months ago, the noise started at 10-15mph. I took it up to high speeds and it was stable and I couldn't hear the original noise over the wind. I could even carry out a conversation over my Bluetooth without yelling (can't do that with wheel bearing noise). I rechecked the front end play and it is as tight as hell. No play at all. I checked the tire pressure and it was a bit low (30-32psi hot), so I took it up to 34.5PSI (tire's max is 35). The tires are getting rotated tomorrow, so hopefully what is making the noise with the front tires will not be the same as the rear tires. They still have alot of tread on them, so it will be a while before I can get new ones. They are cheap Goodyear Wrangler Radials ($75 each from Walmart, but I paid $105 each at a tire shop. Rip offs) P235/75R15 . I asked for all-terrain tires and they give me those. Far from all-terrain. I stopped going to that shop because they were the ones who put the last set of wheel bearings on last year and screwed me on the warranty by replacing the wrong one and then lying about it and refusing to fix it. I had to have the other one replaced at my expense elsewhere.

EDIT: Would out of balance tires cause this? Maybe I should ask the shop to rebalance them when they rotate them in the AM.
I have similar noise or problem ,almost got bearings replaced,but is more like front axle or 4x4,when I engage on 4high the noise is lot louder and takes time to go after disengage,somebody help please,mine is 92 s10 blazer.

Last edited by chevroletfan; 08-30-2011 at 11:01 PM.