2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

When replacing all AC components, do I have to distribute the oil throughout?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 01:27 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

a) You don't.
b) You don't.

But it doesn't take ton of clamping force to seal those rubber washers so, as long as you can snug it down without pulling out the threads, it should be fine. If it does pull out, you're about 15 minutes and two dollars worse off than you were before you gave it a shot.

Old 09-27-2020, 01:38 PM
Beginning Member
Taking_Notes is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tom A
as long as you can snug it down without pulling out the threads
I'm familiar with snugging it down, but can you elaborate on what you mean by "without pulling out the threads"?

Appreciating the help, Tom!

Old 09-27-2020, 01:40 PM
BF Veteran

I mean if you reassemble it (after the Loctite dries) and it doesn't strip out again. Meaning the nut can actually be tightened sufficiently.

Old 09-27-2020, 01:57 PM
Beginning Member

Should I screw in the stud in with the Loctite and let that dry before trying to tighten the nut?

Old 09-27-2020, 02:01 PM
BF Veteran

That's what I would do. Use two nuts to snug it down gently with a wrench. Don't go crazy.

Old 09-27-2020, 02:03 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Tom A
Don't go crazy.
LOL! Will try not to.

Old 09-27-2020, 02:29 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Measure the depth of the hole and compare that to the length of the bolt to get an idea of the number of good threads remaining. Or just do what Tom said but this would give you an idea of the likely hood that the bolt will hold for the duration. If the remaining threads are minimal then you can take a modified version of Toms approach and epoxy/JB Weld the stud in the buggered up hole. He's right that a threaded stud takes exact measurements out of the equation and you just Dremel the top of after the whole thing is done.

George

Old 09-27-2020, 02:57 PM
Beginning Member

Wouldn't epoxy make this installment much MUCH more permanent than a dash of Loctite?

Separately, what are the dimensions of the bolt I am replacing? The head says " [greek letter Theta] 9.8". I don't want to keep screwing/unscrewing the bolt in order to avoid messing up what little thread this bolt can currently reach. Incidentally, it seems like the compressor to bracket mounting bolts have the exact same threads based on the same writing on the head and fitting the stripped threads that I pulled out last time.

Old 09-27-2020, 04:06 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Taking_Notes
Wouldn't epoxy make this installment much MUCH more permanent than a dash of Loctite?

Separately, what are the dimensions of the bolt I am replacing? The head says " [greek letter Theta] 9.8". I don't want to keep screwing/unscrewing the bolt in order to avoid messing up what little thread this bolt can currently reach. Incidentally, it seems like the compressor to bracket mounting bolts have the exact same threads based on the same writing on the head and fitting the stripped threads that I pulled out last time.
You're right. I thought about JB Weld, but that might make it harder to Heli-Coil if it doesn't work. Probably not too bad, though. It's a metric bolt. I'm 99% sure it's 8mm diameter, and the thread pitch is probably 1.5

Old 09-27-2020, 06:05 PM
Beginning Member

So the bolt head markings refers to the strength of the bolt, but amazingly, the compressor bracket mounting bolt really was the same thread as the manifold mounting bolt: M10 (you did get the pitch right at 1.5).

Side by side of the old bolt and new stud, and the M10 nut on the old bolt:

Quick Reply: When replacing all AC components, do I have to distribute the oil throughout?