2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Where is the fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Beginning Member
MXer746 is on a distinguished road

I do most things myself. Everybody doesn't have $300 laying around. At least I don't. The way I figure it. That fuel pump was probably working just fine when the owner of the vehicle wraped his truck around a tree. It should be just fine for me. I've used many used parts in my vehicles. Most work, some don't. I don't obviously use certain used parts, but I do use parts like alternators, fuel pumps, fan blower motors, wiper motors, and things like that. They are fine to use "used" in my book. If you have the money for the new part, then more power to you. Go for it. Not everybody has that kind of money laying around. It's up to the buyer anyhow. If you got $300 for a factory pump, you might as well pay someone top put it in too. I got nothing against putting in new parts IF you have the money. Not EVERYBODY does. If this forum is for people who ONLY put on NEW parts, then I'm in the wrong place.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you have all the time to be swapping out used parts left and right... The operative word in the basis for your rant is *SHOULD*. You are hoping that it will work and that you haven't just wasted all that time, something that not everyone has the leisure of having gobs of. Hope is a very crappy strategy. The cost of doing the job twice, even if you are doing it yourself, will negate any cost savings you may have expected if everything had of gone perfect.

For me, I know the value of my time and my time is better spent elsewhere. If that means I spend a little more for a quality part, that is what I do. In the end, it pays.

Fuel pumps are a KNOWN sour point in these vehicles and are known to have a somewhat predetermined life. Your idea that it must have been good when the previous owner wrapped it around a tree might work for undamaged hard parts where one can clearly assess the damage, but one never knows how long a fuel pump will last. Given the time and effort it takes to replace a pump, it just makes sense to replace it with the best quality part you can.

In the end, if used has worked for you and you have never been burned by it, more power to you. Post your experience and move along. I must say that if you have been using many used fuel pumps without incident, you must be one lucky guy... But do not go off on others when they are giving very sound advice. If something so petty as the discussion at hand is going to cause you to leave, that is your choice...

Old 05-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Beginning Member

I hear what you are saying boss, but I've had new parts fail on me also shortly after buying them. I'm not saying used is the best way to go, but sometimes when you are strapped for cash it's the only choice at that time. I'll replace mine here this week probably, and I'[ll buy used. I'll put in the time it takes until it's fixed. If that means taking it out again than so be it. I'm not afraid of alittle work. I do what I have to do.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Beginning Member
Nikoli is on a distinguished road
Old 06-05-2011, 09:14 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

$65 now and then $65 again at some point since the first one will fail. The above posts recommending AC/Delco or Delphi are not to be taken lightly.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Starting Member
maddie's dad is on a distinguished road

i too have some experience with fuel pumps on the 2nd generation trucks. Luckily, my 2000 is a pickup and lifting off the bed to replace the fuel pump is pretty easy. First pump I put in lasted just a little over 12 months, which of course is past the warranty period. The second pump is still going strong. Both were Airtex. I'm like the other poster who doesn't have a spare $300 laying around. I would still be wary of using a used pump, considering how much work it is to put one in. Just last night, my daughter's '93 Jimmy died on me in the middle of an intersection. Thank goodness I opted for the tow truck service on her insurance. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it is the fuel pump.
Has anyone ever thought of cutting an access hole in the floor of the blazer/jimmy to get to the fuel pump? I think it would make changing the pump easier even if the tank was full.

I have priced the fuel pump for the '93 jimmy and it is a lot cheaper than the pump for my 2000 S10. I'm going to replace the fuel filter while I'm doing the fuel pump.

Last edited by rriddle3; 06-06-2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 06-06-2011, 10:05 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maddie's dad
...Has anyone ever thought of cutting an access hole in the floor of the blazer/jimmy to get to the fuel pump? I think it would make changing the pump easier even if the tank was full...
Been done by a couple of members.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:54 PM
Beginning Member

That's what most 2nd gen Saab owners do. that's what I did. They come with a small inspection panel. All you do is make it big enough to pull the assy out. I made my own pie plate for it and it worked good on my Saab. I never thought about it, but I suppose it would work good here too.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Beginning Member
Nikoli is on a distinguished road

ok bought fuel pump any advice/ steps on how to to take it out?

Old 06-18-2011, 01:44 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by Nikoli
ok bought fuel pump any advice/ steps on how to to take it out?
Let's not threadjack this. If you need help with the pump installation, there are plenty of threads concerning that or you may start your own thread if the existing ones don't help you.

Quick Reply: Where is the fuel pump