2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Whining on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 05:58 PM
puttster is on a distinguished road
Default Whining on acceleration

Because the whining matched the gears shifting I assumed I had a transmission problem nut a real mechanic said I needed a new belt, pulley and tensioner.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/j3oKC3gk8at8cW5Q6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rfs63WoLpaU8pfjs9

Last edited by puttster; 09-28-2022 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:53 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Photos not coming up, but could just be a belt...

Old 09-29-2022, 08:33 AM

Maybe this video will work https://youtu.be/XUMKanPwVz4Looks like the tensioner is shaking but idk if that is unusual enough to cause the whining. Shop wanted $592 to replace..

Old 09-29-2022, 11:17 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Use a ratchet to release the tension on the tensioner (with the engine NOT running) and turn the tensioner pully by hand to feel for roughness. If it needs to be replaced, it's like a $25 part, and 15 minutes of work to replace it (if you stop halfway through for a beer break).

Old 09-30-2022, 07:30 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Is it low on power steering fluid? .... or did you just add some kind of generic fluid to the power steering system. .... or is the power steering pump bad? This can cause a whine that goes up and down with engine speed, but especially when you turn the steering and hold it against it's right or left lock.

Old 09-30-2022, 10:59 AM

steering and transmission fluids are good and all behaving normally. except the whining. I ordered the parts and will give self-installing a go when they arrive.
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

If that doesn't work I might try a transmission fluid drain & filter
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by puttster; 09-30-2022 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:38 PM

I replaced tensioner, pulley and belt. Still got the whine, but I still still got the $500 the mechanic wanted!
Posts here have indicated whining could be low transmission fluid. Mine is good on the dipstick, maybe the filter is clogged and it's not getting up into the gears?

Old 10-05-2022, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by puttster
I replaced tensioner, pulley and belt. Still got the whine, but I still still got the $500 the mechanic wanted!
Posts here have indicated whining could be low transmission fluid. Mine is good on the dipstick, maybe the filter is clogged and it's not getting up into the gears?
Did you run it with the serpentine belt off? Thats the way to tell. Get it whining and then quick take off the belt and restart. If it still whines, it is the trans front pump whining. If trans is full of fluid, trans is on its way out. Dont waste money on new fluid - drive straight to the trans shop. Typically if it is trans, things start out ok and then it starts whining as filter picks up more clutch material out of the pan and starts to get blocked. Shut it off and some falls off the filter. They will pull the pan and verify.

Old 10-07-2022, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Did you run it with the serpentine belt off? Thats the way to tell. Get it whining and then quick take off the belt and restart. If it still whines, it is the trans front pump whining..
What a good idea. Removing the belt took 2 minutes, Drove around, the whining was completely gone! Now I suspect the alternator.
Autozone check was all "Okay" but backing into the driveway just now the car died - first time that ever happened.. I got it going but the dash lights didn.t come on for a minute. when I listen to it through a dowel the alternator make a good noise, If Im unplug it it still makes a noise.. Temp of the alternator housing after driving was 190. Volts are just a hair under 14, used to be a hair above. Power steering fluid is good and steering works fine. Does a bad alternator whine on acceleration?

Last edited by puttster; 10-07-2022 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2022, 05:12 PM

Suspect power steering if its a real whine. Post a video with sound showing gauges (rpm). Hold steering tight against one of the locks (right or left) and increase rpm from idle to about 2500. We can eliminate or confirm from that.

Quick Reply: Whining on acceleration