2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Whistleing noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006 | 10:34 AM
|
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Whistleing noise

96 Blazer 4x4 periodically whistles under the hood when driving. This just started in my girlfriends blazer. It doesn't do it all the time.
Anybody got any ideas of were I could start looking for the problem?

Thanx
Jason

Old 07-28-2006 | 02:02 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Whistleing noise

maybe you have a midget under the hood. seriously, I had a hose come loose and the air was gng over it and making it whistle, tough to figure that one out, kinda hard to drive and look under the hood at same time

Old 07-28-2006 | 03:06 PM
cherryred4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

could be a vaccuum line going bad, or a lose connection at one of the many fittings and tees.

Old 07-30-2006 | 12:56 PM
|

I found the prob.

Its something to do with the AC condensor. AC does not work anymore. The AC pully feels tight with the belt off.
Can I just replace the pully on the front of the condensor? or do I need a new condensor?

Old 07-30-2006 | 01:01 PM
RacerX_96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ummm.... I think you mean COMPRESSOR......

Old 07-30-2006 | 04:04 PM
|

yeah, yeah. you know what I meant. lol

Old 07-30-2006 | 07:39 PM
Starting Member
Aquahallic is an unknown quantity at this point

To quote a previous thread I replied on for another guy on the compressor clutch....

First place I'd look is the a/c compressor clutch if you're standing infront of the vehicle with the hood open on my 95 it's the top most left hand pully... (closest to the battery)
start the vehicle and walk around the front and then look at it with the a/c off you should see the pully flyin' around but you'll notice the inside isn't turning... ie. the compressor itself isn't turning... now.. have someone hop in the truck while you stay out there and watch the clutch have them pop it on Max A/C and fan on high....you should hear a VERY noticable "CLICK" and see the inside of the clutch turning now... and it shouldn't be slipping... sometimes the magnets in the clutch will get weak... and will snap shut but won't have enough *** to hold it from slipping....after you test that you might wanna also stuff your nose down real close to the clutch and smell it... ENGINE OFF of course... sometimes you can smell a burning smell if the plates have been slipping or even an electrical burn smell if the magnets have **** the bed on ya....

and yes you can replace just the clutch on the front.... granted if ya don't have any airtools it ain't easy.. and you'll prolly need a puller too in order to get that clutch off... soo your best bet would be call around and find one first.. then have a known good shop put it on for ya... OH and you'll also have to pull that serpentine belt too...

Old 08-02-2006 | 03:06 PM
|

Found out it is the AC compressor pully. The scrap yard won't sell me just a pully, I got to buy the whole compressor.

Old 08-02-2006 | 03:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You should be able to buy a new clutch assembly from the parts store. It would be MUCH easier than replacing the compressor, especially replacing the compressor with a used one. You may also be able to just replace the bearing that the pulley rides on. I have an SKF (bearing manufacturer) catalog in front of me. If you could get the dimensions (accurate) from it, I could look up a compatible replacement.

But are you sure that it is the pulley? Have you removed the belt and spun the pulley? It is possible that your compressor has crapped out on you and is causing the noise...

Old 08-02-2006 | 05:49 PM
Starting Member
Aquahallic is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes you can purchase a replacement clutch from the autoparts stores... I had to replace mine... although as I stated in an earlier post... it's not the easiest thing to replace if you don't have airtools....:P
and swartlkk is right.... by the time you replace the compressor THEN you have to replace the drier... THEN you're supposed to replace the orifice tube.... THEN you have to have the system evacuated and refilled......:/
so yeah... it's in your best interest to get the new clutch...

Quick Reply: Whistleing noise