2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 12:33 PM
jstein is an unknown quantity at this point

The way I worded that was not entirely clear. I'm aware of the fact that the type of coolant was not the issue. I just figured while I was changing the t-stat I might as well do a flush. My exchange was throughly performed with multiple water flushes. I can only assume I am the only one to perform this as I purchased the car only 1 1/2 years ago. Blazer is @ 137k

Old 01-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
My Rainier has Dexcool in it now. Actually, that has been in there since 2004 so it s 1 year over its recommended change interval of 5yrs/150,000miles. And it is still perfect. Checks out good when tested with a test strip as well as for cold protection.

And who cares what particular gasket you were talking about, this thread is about Dexcool and what you have said is an expression of FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) that your mechanic fed you.

Did your mechanic do all of this work? I bet he used different components the last time that made it work properly. Did you get the water pump replaced? If so, we have seen some people have problems with water pump gasket surfaces not being parallel and causing leaks. Maybe this is what happened in your case, but because you are so blind to other possibilities, it must be the Dexcool that hundreds of MILLIONS of vehicles use with out issue for many, MANY years. (that's a joke, lighten up)

And you may want to re-read my reply. In no way did I suggest that you neglected your truck. You have to stop taking things so personally. I simply stated that you were fed lies and are restating those very lies, all of which has been debunked in this thread already.
You know what, I spoke with my dad about it who remembers it much better than I and there were actually holes in the metal coverplate on the backs of the water pumps. My dad was the one who was replacing them back then (were talking years ago -- like back when the Blazer still had a hint of new car smell and not french fries.). Not to mention, my mechanic is the absolute best mechanic in town. If memory serves me, we went through four water pumps between when we got the vehicle and when we switched to green in / around 2004 and since then have not replaced a water pump.

Anyone here ever try G-05? I'm considering that. But I really have no problem changing my coolant frequently, if I change it enough I'll only have to change what's in the radiator rather than do the whole flush thing with the solvent and what not, right?

Regards,

Thomas

Last edited by TFisher; 01-23-2010 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Beginning Member
ghostwn is on a distinguished road

I've been using Dex-Cool and have not experience any issues with this coolant. I do change the coolant once a year.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:35 AM
chevy lady is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2001 and last year I had the gunk problem! My fluids are checked every 3000 miles when I get my oil changed which I had done shortly before the problem occured.
While on my way to work one day last fall my temp gage started to rise. I pulled off the road and shut her down. Sat there for a while then tried again, it rose again and again I pulled off and shut it off. I sat and let it cool down enough to loosen the cap and check the radiator. I FREAKED! It looked like someone had dumped mud/clay into my radiator. I cleaned out the glob of sh-- that was at the top and babied her back home. my brother in law flushed and flushed and flushed. I added radiator flush and flushed again. Then the thermostat stuck and we replaced that, flushing the system again. Truck ran good for a while then started blowing cold air, coolent was low added more. This has happened a couple times and now temp gage is going to about 120,blowing cold air, then drops to 180 and starts to throw warm air. Also lost my high speed on my heater since all this which I think is in the switch. We are putting another new thermostat in tomorrow and will flush everything out again.
Sorry for going on but I went GREEN!!!!

Old 04-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Starting Member
Mat_Burn is on a distinguished road
Default water pump fail after switch to green

I ran Dex-Cool for 10 years and 120,000 miles in my 1999 Blazer. Heater core had some white crud in it when I flushed it around 80,000. No real problems though. I took it to a radiator guy in town 2 weeks ago and he was shocked I had run dex-cool for so long with no problems. He talked me into switching to the green stuff (my radiator looked very clean before the switch, not nasty like some get). A few days later, there was a big coolant leak under my Blazer one morning. Failed water pump.

My suspicion is that the flush caused some crud that was settled safely somewhere to get caught in the pump, which then caused it to fail. Probably not a green/orange thing. Either way, I kinda wish I hadn't flushed it. It was running fine!

Old 04-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Beginning Member
Wendover is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW! I just shelled out $80.00 at Wallyworld for four jugs of Dexcool and was hoping to replace the coolant in my '05 this coming weekend. I wish I had read this thread before buying the stuff. I've had no problems with the original Dexcool but I've had a lot more vehicles with the green stuff and have never had a coolant problem either.
I wonder what I did with that receipt.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:02 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mat_Burn
I ran Dex-Cool for 10 years and 120,000 miles in my 1999 Blazer. Heater core had some white crud in it when I flushed it around 80,000. No real problems though. I took it to a radiator guy in town 2 weeks ago and he was shocked I had run dex-cool for so long with no problems. He talked me into switching to the green stuff (my radiator looked very clean before the switch, not nasty like some get). A few days later, there was a big coolant leak under my Blazer one morning. Failed water pump.

My suspicion is that the flush caused some crud that was settled safely somewhere to get caught in the pump, which then caused it to fail. Probably not a green/orange thing. Either way, I kinda wish I hadn't flushed it. It was running fine!
I believe DexCool has slicates in it to help lengthen the water pump life.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:55 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

My 10 year old truck has 180,000 miles on it.
Rad fluid has been flushed and replace once, at that time I replaced the water pump, thermostat, rad hoses, rad cap, and serpentine belt.
I have never had a problem with my cooling system.

I guess this year I need to replace it again. Although this time Ill propble change the coolant temp sensors too, after all they are 10 years old too.

The only maintenance I do to the cooling system is top off the overflow tank during oil changes, if needed.

I also maintain my sons Cavaliers, '02 and '03. Same maintenance, top off during oil changes. Although Im glad this thread came up. They are both over due for a flush and fill.

Last edited by Hanr3; 04-06-2010 at 03:57 PM. Reason: added the Cavalier info.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:46 AM
Starting Member
98Ltblazer is on a distinguished road

ne can answer my question i'd b estatic.

so yesterday with my dad I pop the hood of the blazer and I'm just loping over stuff.. and than I come to the radiator and I pull the cap off and it's filthy.. it has a rusted water all in it actually some dripping out.. so I buy dexcool and tomoro I'm flushing my radioator.. I gave no Aircon in the car only blows hot air. so my dad thinks doing thisbwill cre the problem.. I explained it woulbt because the prim has the issue he sais not very truck is the same BUT we have enough f the same problems to make accurate conclusions..

anyways.. I'm nervous now to flush it.. my dad plans on doing it I guesse old school? by sticking a hose in the top of the radioator ad flushing it an putting it in.. bad idea?

Old 04-09-2010, 10:14 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 98Ltblazer
ne can answer my question i'd b estatic.

so yesterday with my dad I pop the hood of the blazer and I'm just loping over stuff.. and than I come to the radiator and I pull the cap off and it's filthy.. it has a rusted water all in it actually some dripping out.. so I buy dexcool and tomoro I'm flushing my radioator.. I gave no Aircon in the car only blows hot air. so my dad thinks doing thisbwill cre the problem.. I explained it woulbt because the prim has the issue he sais not very truck is the same BUT we have enough f the same problems to make accurate conclusions..

anyways.. I'm nervous now to flush it.. my dad plans on doing it I guesse old school? by sticking a hose in the top of the radioator ad flushing it an putting it in.. bad idea?
We would like to help but your spelling, punctuation & capitilization make your post difficult to read and understand. Try again please.

Quick Reply: WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL