2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Why does my truck eat fuel pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 04:28 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cleburne red
I have air, and I might try blowing out the line, but unless I take it apart where it goes into the intake, I won't get the front half of the lines
Front half of a supply and the return one is protected by the fuel filter. So any junk You may expect in the tank and the supply line right to the filter
I'd follow flushing/blowing the lines from a filter back to the tank.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by cleburne red
That's what I've always heard, and all I've ever put on this truck is either ac delco, or Delphi. Had the truck six years, put about 100k miles on it, and I'm probably on the sixth pump. This will be the third one this year. New pump in Jan, again in April, and now again in September. There's gotta be something else going on.
Lovely. Three pumps for three quarters of the year. Beware the end of September
Now, seriously, the very first thing that comes on my mind is the contaminated fuel that kills the pumps. Like I said, the filter is after the pump, so every contamination goes through the pump. I would look for possible reasons here: Your tank, the place You get the gas from, etc.

In what way Your pumps are getting damaged? They're not building pressure, but the motor still turns? Try opening a not working one and post what You find

Old 09-02-2018, 08:23 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mike.308
In what way Your pumps are getting damaged? They're not building pressure, but the motor still turns? Try opening a not working one and post what You find
The pump only will make about 50 psi, and won't hold pressure. The truck will run, but misfire terribly and make no power under load. Can barely move itself.

Believe me, I've really thought about opening one up. But I've been getting a new one on warranty, and I'm afraid they wouldn't exchange it if I brought it in in pieces lol

Old 09-03-2018, 04:28 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

What comes to my mind in addition and might be unrelated.

Fuel pumps can also die quickly when run with little fuel.

Are you putting in only little gas at a time or do you keep your tank full?
Where do you normally refuel. Always the same gas station or are there options to switch station?
It's hot in Texas ain't it? Heat may also kill fuel pumps. Which triggers the thought about heat shielding from the exhaust?

Just my couple of thoughts.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by error_401
What comes to my mind in addition and might be unrelated.

Fuel pumps can also die quickly when run with little fuel.

Are you putting in only little gas at a time or do you keep your tank full?
Where do you normally refuel. Always the same gas station or are there options to switch station?
It's hot in Texas ain't it? Heat may also kill fuel pumps. Which triggers the thought about heat shielding from the exhaust?

Just my couple of thoughts.
In my opinion, an overheating would primarily damage the winding insulation of the electric motor rather than the propeller. As the pump still runs, I would exclude an overheating reason. Just my 3 cents.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:14 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I keep it filled up, usually. Especially since now it's a third vehicle, and doesn't see many miles, I keep the tank full.

When I was daily driving it, I would almost exclusively fill up at QT, now that it just does weekend duty, or occasionally pulling a trailer, it's just random gas stations around town.

Also, when it was still a daily, I would run it down to about a quarter, but I would always fill it back up.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:33 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

So a few possibilities may be ruled out now.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:04 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

I was wondering if you are using gasoline with Ethanol such as 10% or some percentage. If it sits for a while, it will experience 'phase separation'. This causes problems. Also, I would use 'Top Tier gasoline as recommended by GM, Toyota, BMW, and other manufacturers. Try googling toptiergasoline.com

Old 09-06-2018, 11:22 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
... Also, I would use 'Top Tier gasoline as recommended by GM, Toyota, BMW, and other manufacturers. Try googling toptiergasoline.com
This made me curious. Here is a quote from Consumers Report: "Study Shows Top Tier Gasoline Worth the Extra Price"

"Top Tier retailers include 76, Aloha Petroleum, Amoco, ARCO, Beacon, BP, Break Time, Cenex, Chevron, CITGO, Conoco, Co-op, Costco, CountryMark, Diamond Shamrock, Entec, Esso, Express, Exxon, Holiday, Kwik Star Stores, Kwik Trip, Mahalo, MFA, Mobil, Ohana Fuels, Petro-Canada, Phillips 66, PUMA, QT, Quik Trip, Road Ranger, Shamrock, Shell / Shell V-Power, Sinclair Standard, SuperAmerica, SuperFuels, Tempo, Texaco, Tri-Par, and Valero."

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...h-extra-price/

Old 09-07-2018, 01:24 PM
odat will become famous soon enough

Clean inside of tank well and if interior of tank has rusty spots replace tank, Even crud small enough to get thu the pump sock will wear on the pump internals and pump check valve and **** it slightly open letting pressure back flow.
The pump will not burn up by running low on fuel as it sits in it own little container and the return fuel dumps into it and keeps the pump cool up to the point the pump sucks air and the engine dies, How ever the problem with running a low tank is it concentrates the amount of crud per fuel ratio speeding up pump wear, plugged filters Ect.

Quick Reply: Why does my truck eat fuel pumps?