2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Why does my truck eat fuel pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 01:39 PM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm interested in what the final solution will be (I know you'll figure it out because it's going to bug you until you do). I see this thread helping others for years to come. I'd like to help but you've done everything I would have done. Kinked fuel lines is a reasonable cause.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:00 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

This is what I'd consider doing if faced with a fuel pump replacement; going in from the top:

https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...replace-92490/

Old 10-06-2018, 02:16 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

What are your voltages at the pump + and - (pump wire, not the frame)?

George

Old 10-06-2018, 02:46 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
What are your voltages at the pump + and - (pump wire, not the frame)?

George

I didn't check that, at least not with the truck running.

Last time I changed the pump (couple weeks ago) I was getting good voltage at the plug (good being within a volt or so of battery voltage, but I can't remember exact numbers)

Next time I have it in the garage, I'll check + to - on the pump wire itself.

I'm borrowing a friends pressure guage, since mine crapped the bed. Just want to make sure it's the pump again, and not the regulator taking a dump at a very coincidental time.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:21 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

The voltages at the pump wires are implied to be OK because you are good + to frame and resistance - to frame is low but that is the ultimate voltage that the pump sees.

George

Old 10-06-2018, 04:06 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

If the pump motor stuck due to a voltage drop then no fuel pressure.
If the pump supplies the fuel, then motor keeps turning.
If the motor keeps turning, the winding cannot get overheated.
An over voltage cannot happen, as the battery has too low internal resistance.
Taking these on account I truly doubt that pumps could be killed electrically.
I would rather throw the fuel tank out and get another one.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:55 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Mike.308
I would rather throw the fuel tank out and get another one.

See, I was wondering if it was trash in the tank killing them. So this last go-round, I washed the tank out as best I could with water. I just have a hard time accepting that it's so dirty in there that it will kill a pump in ten miles. I used a brand new strainer, also.

Once I test the pressure, and am certain the pump is actually dead, I'm going to do an autopsy and try to figure out what the deal is.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:33 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christine_208
This is what I'd consider doing if faced with a fuel pump replacement; going in from the top:

https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...replace-92490/
I have a lift and a transmission jack, so I can get the gas tank out in half the time it takes to cut a hole in the floor. I've also done it on the floor, though, and it's not that bad of a job. With a pickup, I think the easiest way is to lift the bed.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:37 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cleburne red
See, I was wondering if it was trash in the tank killing them. So this last go-round, I washed the tank out as best I could with water. I just have a hard time accepting that it's so dirty in there that it will kill a pump in ten miles. I used a brand new strainer, also.

Once I test the pressure, and am certain the pump is actually dead, I'm going to do an autopsy and try to figure out what the deal is.
Your fuel pump story sounds insane enough so the next option I'd vote is a nasty, jealous neighbor %^&$%# throwing dirt through Your tank inlet. I wonder what You find.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:32 PM
BF Veteran

So, tank dropped. Pump out. Autopsy was inconclusive, since I cut it apart with a Sawzall. Other than that damage, it seemed fine internally.

I did ohm it before I carved it up, and read 0.9 ohms across the terminals. Found an old, "questionable" Delco pump on my shelf, it ohmed at 350. Don't know which one is right.

Inspected the fuel lines at the tank, none appear collapsed, but they might get replaced anyway.

Pump strainer wasn't all dirty and clogged, either. Looked brand new, probably cause it still is.

Gonna get a new, ac Delco pump, and rear lines. Maybe autozone had a bad batch of Delphis? If this doesn't fix it, it's going on Craigslist, priced to sell.

Quick Reply: Why does my truck eat fuel pumps?