2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Why Replace FDB Calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 11:06 AM
thanser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why Replace FDB Calipers?

Is this standard practice when replacing disc brake pads on a 1998 Blazer 2 door? Of course not, right?

I had my tires rotated last week at my local tire shop, and they noticed some unusual front tire wear, due to my front shocks being wore out. The tire wear causes a wobling noise while on the freeway, and now I hear the noise in the rear, since they're now in back.

BUT, they also noticed my disk brake pads were worn, but not scraping the rotor. Fine, but why did they quote me a price to replace the two front calipers, at the same time? They have to ding you for extra money somehow, right? Especially since the rotors don't need to be turned, or replaced.

There is no unusual wear on the rotors, no pulling to either side when braking, either, so why replace perfectly good calipers? The vehicle has 178,000 miles on it - time to replace calipers?

And while we're at it, I would never have known my shocks were worn - my front end doesn't really bounce up and down at all.

Thanks!

Old 09-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Why Replace FDB Calipers?

While I'm unsure what you mean by FDB calipers, it is not usual for anyone to replace calipers unless they are leaking or binding. Pins and boots can be replaced separate of the caliper itself for minimal cost. Heck, most often, the pins just need to be cleaned and lubed back up, even less $$$. Most shops though don't mess around doing the simple, less time consuming things and hit your right up for the high $$$ items where they make the most margin.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:20 PM
thanser is an unknown quantity at this point

FDB was my poor attempt at making an acronym of front disk brakes.

Anyway, if the rotors or pads don't show any unusual wear or signs of wear or binding, why not just change the pads and not change the calipers?

I could replace the pads myself, of course, but if I take the vehicle in for front shocks, inevitably they find something else that "needs to be replaced." It's hard to get away with something simple anymore.

My local Chevy dealer is pretty good at fixing just what needs to be fixed, and nothing else.

Then there's that wonky fuel guage - a sending unit is $500.00.

Thanks.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Gotcha on the FDB. Even if there is uneven wear, 95% of the time it is caused by gummed up, sticking caliper pins.

And just because they find something else that "needs to be replaced", does not mean that you cannot refuse the repair.

On the fuel gauge, the sending unit is replaceable separately from the fuel pump, however the repair is the same regardless of sending unit only or entire fuel pump assembly replacement. Still isn't all that difficult for a DIYer to do.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

I know when I purchase my new extended warranty for my truck, the warranty company advise me to have my brake calipers replaced after 100,000 miles. I have to look in my Haynes book when I get home tonight because I do remember reading something about that. Does it mean that you really have to replace them, probably not. But most likely your mechanic could be following GM's guidelines for when items should be replaced. I know my mechanic does whenever he works on my truck. But I will verfy this about the FDB when I get home later. Just my .02...lol

Old 09-26-2007, 09:50 PM
2Tone is an unknown quantity at this point

This may be off subject but the fuel pump and the sending unit are one assembly, im pretty sure you cant replace the sending unit without the pump. i could be wrong. but when you buy the fuel pump its one assembly with the sending unit and you cant buy one or the other seperate.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:59 AM
DM6156 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: 2Tone

This may be off subject but the fuel pump and the sending unit are one assembly, im pretty sure you cant replace the sending unit without the pump. i could be wrong. but when you buy the fuel pump its one assembly with the sending unit and you cant buy one or the other seperate.
In every case for a stock fuel pump i've seen, the sending unit and pump are 2 differnet items. The sending unit can be replaced separately from the fuel pump. You are right, the fuel pump comes with a sending unit. I've never seen any auto parts stores selling just the sending unit, that is a dealer only part. If you need to replace the sending unit, why not replace the entire pump? Sometimes it's not that much more expensive ($100-$150) between a new pump and sending unit. You have to drop the tank to access either, why not replace the whole thing if you're going through the much work anyway to access it. On a related note, some vehicles don't have a separate fuel filter, it's part of the fuel pump and not servicable.

Of course, I've never had to replace either on a blazer. I've dealt with dodges and fords before.

- Dan M

Old 09-27-2007, 07:14 AM
soundguy is an unknown quantity at this point

My 96 has 118K and I replaced my calipers for the simple reason that they cost $15 each for reman'd ones +core. My old ones were serviceable, and original. But they were so crusty, I just thought that even if I cleaned them up - I'd still have 12yr old calipers, with their associated 12yr old rubber parts. So I replaced mine, and I'm sure glad I did. After installing them, they slide on their slide pins beautifully. So now I know I'll have good even wear and good perfomance from my front brakes. Hope that helps you feel better if you paid to replace yours.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Considering the fuel pumps for the '96-current trucks (quality ones) are close to $300 and the sending unit is ~$80 and available at any ACDelco retailer under SK1188 (OEM # 19121300) for 2dr or SK1186 (OEM # 19121293) for 4dr, it is up to you on whether you want to replace both or just the sending unit... $200 isn't chump change in my book, but then again, you kill two birds with one stone replacing both. All of the work is the same. It really is up to you and your wallet.

About the calipers, if you don't mind spending the money for remans, then by all means, go for it. The '98+ two piston calipers are a bit more expensive though (~$60 each).

Old 09-27-2007, 04:07 PM
soundguy is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

The '98+ two piston calipers are a bit more expensive though (~$60 each).
ah, the joys of a '96...minus the shot front axle bearings, paint falling off, etc. etc.

Quick Reply: Why Replace FDB Calipers?