2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Windshield wipers

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 05:36 PM
joeysblazers89/02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Windshield wipers

The other day my left windshield wiper just went crazy on my 2002 Blazer. The right one operates fine. It is as if a gear is striped on the left one, I can move it all around . Today I tried to take the black plastic cowling off to see the mechanisim but the screws would not back out . Is there something special that I should know about? I have owned about 10 other vehicles and never had a problem with the wiperson any of them even my 89 Blazer which I drive daily. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Joe

Old 05-13-2008, 05:54 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: Windshield wipers

wrong section...

Old 05-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the help Matt...

*Moving to 2nd Gen Tech*

I would first see if you can't just tighten the nut that holds the wiper arm on to the driveshaft. I have seen this nut work loose and cause this very problem. As the wiper 'transmission' is first connected to the driver (left) wiper driveshaft, then connected to the passenger (right), the problem most likely exists between the drive shaft and the wiper arm. Just make sure that you get it back in the right position!

Hope this helps!

Old 05-14-2008, 11:31 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

The plastic cover should just pop off. Might have to pry it off with a screw driver, however it should pop off.

Kyles right, there is a nut that holds the wiper arm in place. GM designed it so tht this is an easy fix, no doubt to prevent a serious accident. Like if your cruising home in a blizzard and the wiper acts up due to a heavy snow, then you can fix it with a pair of pliers.

Simple to do, pop off the cover, take the nut off, 10mm or 13mmI believe. Not much isn't 10 or 13mm on these things. Anyway, pry the arm off once the nut is off, clean out the shavings, put it back on, adjust it and tighten the nut back down. Done. That is all there is too it. While you ahve the arm off you will notice that the stub is splined, the bottom of the wiper arm is a soft metal, could be lead, when you tighten the nut down it draws it down tigh enough to create new splines in the arm. This is the way it was designed from GM. I had a 15 minute conversation with a GM tech on this one day. I thought it was a pretty cool idea, and it saves the cost of a new arm when the threads get stripped out.