2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

wipers stopped working 1997

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 12:02 AM
ehumpy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wipers stopped working 1997

Hey there my names Elliott, I was driving around today, my wipers worked fine. I got lazy and didnt wipe off all the snow on the windshield, but since the snow was wet and heavy i fired up the wipers and got a ticking noise for 5 seconds from under the dash area? then no more wipers at all, the studs are not stripped nor is the fuse blown... when i toggle the wiper switch there isnt any sign of them trying to move. Any help would be appreciated.... Is a motor that easy to fry?

Old 01-05-2009, 06:04 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: wipers stopped working 1997

check the fuse first as that is what their designed to do but...we'll go from there. Possibly fried the wiper module. Keep us posted. Jerry

Old 01-05-2009, 07:25 AM
rustynail is an unknown quantity at this point

could also be some cold solders inside the wiper motor.
as peru motors said, check the fuse, module, wiper motor.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

To check for the possibility of cold solders, follow the procedure in THIS THREAD.

I also believe that GM has the wiper pulse module available separately from the rest of the wiper motor assembly due to the cold solder issue. That would be something worth trying before going all out with the whole wiper motor assembly.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:15 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

If you do find the module bad...I absolutely wouldn't go the route of replacing the WHOLE motor assby. The module(as Kyle stated) is available from GM. Did one on a 95 last week, cake. Jerry

Old 01-05-2009, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the input, i checked the cold solder situation, proceeded to re-re the solder still no worky, how do i check the module?

Old 01-05-2009, 08:31 PM

thanks for all the info and help, pulled the old motor out and bench tested, no worky so i grabbed a new one and im back on the road!

Old 03-28-2009, 06:44 PM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point

ehumpyWrote:"Thanks for the input, i checked the cold solder situation, proceeded to re-re the solder still no worky, how do i check the module?
================================================== ================

Can someone show/tell me where this wiper module is located?
Here's my current issue:

I finally installed my new wiper/hazard multi switch($400).Still no wiper functions.
But turn signal/hazard/cruise control all work & panel fuses good,but why only 4volts when put on OHM-tester at wiper motor connector?

I even hooked up another wiper motor to be certain it wasn't that,then I tried some gentle tapping and shaking ALL areas inside and under hood where anything is wiper connected,but still not a movement of or shimmy from wipers.I even resoldered contacts inside wiper motor as Klye said in times past.
Also,can someone shed light as to what those 3 black relay looking fuses are that are at the back of the engine compartments firewall??(not glove box relays)

Any share-isms?

Last edited by blzR; 03-28-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

Bad multifunction (turn signal stick) switch?

Are you sure the shafts aren't turning? Mine got frozen in a sleet storm this winter, and they started slipping. I just had to take the nut off, and put a lock washer on there, and it's been fine ever since.

My motor went out last winter, and I changed the module first(the green PCB, right?), but that didn't make a difference. Swapped the whole motor, and was good to go.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:50 PM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point

When i hook up the wiper motor directly to battery it works as it should,but when connected back up into connector harness i only get 3-4 volts...where is the voltage holdup??
Where is that "wiper module" located?what are those 3 black relay looking fuses are that are at the back of the engine compartments firewall??(not glove box relays)

Quick Reply: wipers stopped working 1997