2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Beginning Member
jrb_fishy is on a distinguished road
Default wiring help

hello everybody ok i have a 1998 S10 blazer 4x4 4.3 now here is the problem a friend cut my factory wiring harness to hardwire a deck into the truck i have a replacment i got from a scrap yard from the same suv but there are 3 dark green wires A. how do i tell which one is which and B. what are they all for i need an in depth break down of the wires and what they are for and how i can correct this error

Old 02-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

These should help (attached with and without amplifier). You likely are going to have to test continuity on the wires that are there back to where they go to (+12V source, speaker negative, etc).

Attached Thumbnails wiring help-98_radio_w_amp.gif   wiring help-98_radio_wo_amp.gif  
Old 02-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Beginning Member

you are my hero man this thing is kinda screwie as of right now you have to turn the lights on to start the deck lol the truck has other major issues that i will touch on in another forum

Old 02-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Beginning Member
Default more wiring help

alright lol now by now we know that the stock wiring harness is no longer in the blazer i have a replacment here and i want to wire it back in where it should be but i still have the problem of those 3 dark green wires and how to tell which is which the diagram tells me what they do but now i need to know how to tell which one it is lol please for the love of god or the devil not sure which one sent this truck to me but somebody help

Old 02-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The wiring diagrams give you all of the information you need. There are three dark green wires as you have stated. If you had a tape deck or remote cd player, you would have a 4th dark green wire which would run down to the remote accessory, but since you stated that you only had 3 dark green wires, I take that to mean that you don't have the remote tape or cd deck.

As such, one will have +12V power. Easy to test for. The RDO IGN fuse which powers this wire is hot in ACC or RUN so you will need your key either turned to the ACC (accessory) position or to the RUN position before probing for power with a multimeter or test light.

One will be the right front speaker negative. Pull the right front speaker and, using a multimeter set to test continuity, probe the remaining 2 wires for continuity to the dark green wire at the right front speaker (possibly lt green or lt blue depending on which speaker you pull - dash or door).

The third wire is then the VSS wire by process of elimination.

Now, please use proper grammar & punctuation! It is so annoying when you have to read through a post multiple times just to understand what is being discussed. I'm not going to waste my time if you can't put forth the effort to type proper English.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Beginning Member

sorry man it has been a busy day my son is home from school sick and i am running after him. Thank you very much for making that clear to me!