2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Wont Start. Fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 04:35 PM
McCabe29 is on a distinguished road
Default Wont Start. Fuel pump?

I have a 01 chevy blazer 4.3 4x4 130,000 miles. I started it the other day it took a little long to start. Went to go out again and didnt start. I replaced the dead battery still doesnt start. Hit the gas tank with a hammer and it started went and filled it up with gas and shut it off when I got home. Then it didnt want to start again. My guess is its the fuel pump and probably could use a fuel filter. Any ideas?

Last edited by McCabe29; 12-27-2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Miles 130,000
Old 12-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Starting Member
95Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Could be. Check the fuel pressure.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:28 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like it could be the fuel pump if you haven't changed the filter recently you might as well do both while your at it.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If hitting the bottom of the tank allowed the vehicle to start, then the pump is likely on its last legs. A fuel pressure test will confirm that the no-start is caused by a lack of fuel pressure, but you also should check for proper power and ground to the pump. If the pump has proper power and ground to the connector at the pump, then the pump is the culprit.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Beginning Member
Camaro98 is on a distinguished road

These Blazers are known for fuel pump problems. Check the fuel pressure, but expect the pump to be shot.

I don't recommend buying anything but AC Delco when replacing the pump assembly....I've talked to a lot of mechanics and DIY guys who have said that the aftermarket pumps crap out anywhere from a couple of weeks to a year after you start using them. Two shops I talked to refused to install anything other than Delco because they hated doing the job enough to not want to do it twice---even for a steep charge.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:05 AM

It is the fuel pump. Thanks for all the help. Now I just need to replace it, anyone know of a good online repair manual for a fuel pump replacement. 02 chevy blazer 4.3L LT

Old 12-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

AllDataDIY.com isn't too expensive and is a wealth of information.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:07 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

also delphi is made by ac delco and is probably cheaper. also its an oem replacement.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:18 PM

My Gas gauage was off it would show I needed gas when there was a half a tank in there and it would shot back and forth is that a sign that I needed a new fuel pump?

Old 12-30-2010, 06:04 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

not a sign you need a fuel pump but it will get taken care of with a new AC Delco fuel pump. Jerry PS cause it is a part of what you get with a new pump assembly

Quick Reply: Wont Start. Fuel pump?