2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Yes, another Quadbeam question

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Stoliguy is on a distinguished road
Default Yes, another Quadbeam question

I'm sure some of you will think this is a typical noob question, but yes, I've searched and read about 100 posts on half a dozen forums.

I have a 99 Bravada. I have DRLs (kind of) and AHLs.

I have a 6000k HID kit in for both highs and lows, hence the "kind of" on the DRLs... the HID transformer won't fire on the low DRL voltage, so no biggie, automatic DRL kill... and I don't mind.

I LOVE my AHLs and I want to keep them. here's my issue. When switching from HB to LB or vice versa at night, the HID rise time (warm up) leaves me blind for a few moments, thus the need for the Quadbeam mod...

I have a standard 40amp relay... I have basic wiring knowlege.. my question is this.. is the headlight system on the Bravada a constant ground system or a constant voltage system? I attempted to wire the Bravada like I did on the 06 Trailblazer and 04 SSR which is constant ground (relaying to add +12v to the low beam on a highbeam trigger)... but no luck... My multimeter shows me that the system is constant ground, but that contradicts what i've tried... is the AHL or DHL circuit getting in the way?

Any help is much appriciated.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:37 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

im not sure if the bravada is a constant ground/voltage system, but if you do a search theres a write up on how to disable your DRL/AHL on the forum that might shed some light on the situation.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by mikeinwi
im not sure if the bravada is a constant ground/voltage system, but if you do a search theres a write up on how to disable your DRL/AHL on the forum that might shed some light on the situation.
I appriciate your reply...

I discovered the system is a constant ground today.. and its kind of odd....

If I strip back the positive wire, regardless of high/low, and connect it to pos power... the low will come on... if i trigger the high beams inside with the MFS, they will switch accordingly without the wire being moved... its as if the system is relayed on both pos and neg... and it has me swimming...

The post about disabling the AHL is informative as I have already read it, but Im not interested in disabling it... I may have to double relay the system, but I just cant believe that no one with a Bravada has tried this yet, and I can't belive that its THAT much different from the AHL on the Chev/GM side...

Old 06-15-2009, 09:28 PM

Edit:

Chased the culprit down to a funny relay in the underhood fuse center.

Replaced the relay and now the "single wire" mod works great.

Will be relaying soon to bring back the day/night AHL functionality WITHOUT DRLs and will post pics when I get there.