Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Quadbeam HID

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:02 AM
rob44_90 is on a distinguished road
Default Quadbeam HID

Finally decided to swap my yellow fog light HIDs to 9005s on my rig. Now I've got Quad-beam HIDs. 10000K in the 9005 and 12000K H1 in the Projector. I'm running the ballast off my fog light wiring. Allows me to used both at the same time. I love it!!!!! SUPER BRIGHT AND BLUE!!!

Attached Thumbnails Quadbeam HID-1103001947a.jpg   Quadbeam HID-1103001946.jpg  

Last edited by rob44_90; 11-05-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:56 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

why not do the quad beam mod? fog lights don't get the direct power that head lights do. they're on a "try your best" circuit (don't ask me the tech terms, i don't know them) so when the truck recognizes you losing power they cut the power to the fogs and can burn up the ballast fast

Old 11-04-2010, 09:19 PM

Well they seem to work perfect for now, they only run off 35watts. Anyways I managed to break a CV joint today, when I slid down a steep muddy hill and bottomed out on the drivers side. Now it always makes a super loud cracking noise at about 5-10mph, and I can feel it slowing me down while driving. Gonna cost me $120 with shipping to replace both (figured I might as well) with some Cardone's from RockAuto. Thanks for the info, but I've never heard of that happening. I did have to leave the 9005 halogen light bulbs plugged in (now they're just dangling down behind the headlights), because the fog switch won't work with the night time lights on unless the 9005's are plugged in. I thought that was strange...

Last edited by rob44_90; 11-04-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:22 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

If I remember correctly the Fogs are tied into the high beams so that they cut off when the high beams are turned on.... without a complete circuit (highbeams missing) you could be SOL

Old 11-04-2010, 10:35 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

yea this defeats the purpose of high beams. the actual quad beam mod is so simple to do... just a wire, wire loop and a self tapping screw... and why pick the 10000K? the blue isn't near as bright as white and your are more likely to get pulled over with blue lights that stand out like that. plus i don't think you would pass inspection with no actual high beams. If I were you I'd just forget about the fog light switch that is nothing but headaches when you start messing with that, just hardwire the yellow fogs that all of your lights can stay on once you do the quad beam mod.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:42 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
yea this defeats the purpose of high beams. the actual quad beam mod is so simple to do... just a wire, wire loop and a self tapping screw... and why pick the 10000K? the blue isn't near as bright as white and your are more likely to get pulled over with blue lights that stand out like that. plus i don't think you would pass inspection with no actual high beams. If I were you I'd just forget about the fog light switch that is nothing but headaches when you start messing with that, just hardwire the yellow fogs that all of your lights can stay on once you do the quad beam mod.
HEY HEY HEY....I run the 10K.... and I love em...

Old 11-04-2010, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
First off, I love blue headlights. I had 2 of the 9005 10000k laying around from a previous project I never finished. This didn't cost me a cent and took just plugging in different wires. I sold my bull bar two weeks ago (needed more clearance) that had yellow HID's, so I decided to put the ballasts back to work. If I have time I'll probably do the quad beam mod properly, but until then the ballasts will be fine. I ordered the ballasts over the summer from HID Extra meant specifically for my fogs. On their website, it only states that poor lighting and flickering will occur if the current is bad, I experience neither. I've been running 12000k in my projectors for a year now and no cop has said a word about them (did get pulled over for my tinted tail lights at night, but the officer wouldn't give me a ticket cause he thought they looked really good on my black truck. lol gotta love redneck cops). He even checked my headlights and didn't say a word. FYI TN inspections ONLY check emissions, so no worries. I just wanted to know how you guys liked the look, not "you did it wrong!".

Last edited by rob44_90; 11-04-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:35 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

10K is for nothing other than the look Will. honestly for best distance with the light you'd want the yellow 3000 bulbs but those are dumb IMO unless you drive a ricer and then..... you drive a ricer, enough said. Benedict is right with the fact of you want the closest to day light. i have 6000 and those are too blue for me. i'm waiting for them to blow up or i come into money before i swap them out.

Hopefully the OP does what Benedict suggested for the sake of simplicity and safety.

BS? we're just trying to help you avoid headaches down the road. but i guess you don't like us looking out for you

Old 11-04-2010, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by MTopper

BS? we're just trying to help you avoid headaches down the road. but i guess you don't like us looking out for you
I appreciate the help, but just seemed like everyone was shooting down something that makes no difference.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Looks cool, but not the right application.

Quick Reply: Quadbeam HID