2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Yes there were a few flames!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Beginning Member
nonblazing4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yes there were a few flames!!!

I have a question. I was working on my 2001 4 door 4x4 blazer the other day. I just finished replacing the fuel pump and was excited to jump in turn the key and drive off into the sunset. That didnt happen. The new fuel pump didnt fix anything. The shop says it the injectors. First question is what would be the cost for the shop to put them in. I have the part. Second question. What is that part that hangs on the firewall right above the distirbutor. It has an electrical connection on it. I ask becasue while trying to start the blazer i had a lil backfire and it burn some insaltion off the wire. What is it call and what does it control. Would it be ok to just splice the wires. LOL anyone in north west fl wanting a 100 buck and all the beer u can drink for one day hit me up. I want to get her running again.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:40 AM
Beginning Member

Does anyone thing they have some advice they could give me toward these questions. I got a price back from the shop and they said 220 for them to put the injectors and a new set of plugs in. Is that a good price. Also does anyone think they can name the part that i caught on fire. Again its right above the distributer cap. Its almost in the way of taking the cap off. Any help please....

Old 05-13-2011, 06:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If they are just swapping the parts, that sounds reasonable. But I can't help but wonder how they have come to the conclusion that the injectors are bad... What is the truck doing? Why did you replace the fuel pump? Have you tested fuel pressure and leak down rate? Has an injector balance test been performed to determine how well the injectors are working? Some specialized tools are required to do the balance test, but a competent shop should be able to run these tests and shouldn't be opposed to discussing the diagnosis with you. The sad fact is that most shops have become part swappers only and don't really know the first thing about diagnosing a problem short of "lets try replacing this next".

There could be relays or, if you have the Auto4wd transfer case (4 button switch on the dash), it could be the vacuum solenoid for the front axle. In either case, if you can tell which wire goes where, I would just replace the damaged section of wire in each case making sure to shrink wrap the splices (or use 3M's shrink wrap butt connectors as they have an adhesive in them for added protection).

Old 05-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Beginning Member

Let me tell u how it started. I was pulling a trailer for my gf parents and when i got back to the house i went to drop it but i was parked on a slight hill. To keep me from rolling back into when i took it out of gear i gave a slight punch to the gas( nothing hard) but it was like the blazer stalled a lil but didnt die. IT idled fine. I went to drive across the road to my house but i would hardly make it. Any time i gave it gas it would run super rough but still idled fine. I then replaced the fuel filter and nothing. Then i replced the fuel pressure regulatior and nothing. today i replaced the fuel pump and nothing. If u pour gas in the intake it will start up and run off whats in there but once its gone it dies. When i try to start it it backfires and once i did get it to run but i was like crap and when i would try to put it in gear it would die. The shop said that the fuel pressure was fine and its a new fuel pressue regulator so what esle could it be. I got some injectors off ebay for 100 so i hope it will fix it.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Beginning Member

The word today in the post above is not correct i just copied that from a previous post i made about 4 months ago.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:33 PM
dimone545 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems strange to me that it could be the injectors if it was working just fine and then all of the sudden it just stopped wanting to work. I would get a second opinion personally but thats just me.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:45 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I would definitely get a second opinion before you replace them.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:48 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Back fire? The air intake should have contained any backfire through the intake. Please tell me the air intake hose and air bax are actually hooked up. It sounds to me you might just need a tune up. New cap and rotor and plug wires sure wouldnt hurt. If the cap is older or poor quality it could be cross firing causing the backfire and missing. Please dont dump anymore fuel down its throat. It caught fire once already. Next time it could be worse. I would stop guessing what is wrong and spending money replacing good parts. Start gathering info about your problem and troubleshoot the problem. If you just guess by the time you are done throwing parts at it, you could have afforded to take it to the dealer!

I bought a blazer for $500 that a shop said needed a spider injector and millions of other parts. Had to tow it home. wouldnt start. just backfire (Blew muffler up) I put a cap, rotor, wires and plugs in it and drove it the next day. Its a shame a SHOP missed the fact that all the ignition components were original!

Good luck!

Old 05-22-2011, 10:15 PM
pheaton is on a distinguished road

On top of the distributor you have the rotor. On top of the rotor sits the cap. The wires plug into the cap. They are not hard to change, but you have to be careful the older distributors have plastic screw holes that the rotor attaches to and they strip very easily, and you'll have to replace the whole distributor if you strip them.

The rotor, cap, and wires are a good investment if you haven't done them lately, also might as well do the spark plugs while you are at it. Throw a little dielectric grease into the wires before plugging them in. It's also a good idea to pull one wire off, find the new wire that matches it (they are different lengths, some have different angle ends) and put it on, then continue on. If you do them one at a time you wont get them mixed up or confused, and you won't plug them into the wrong place. Do not jury rig the plug wires. That is a terrible idea.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Beginning Member

ok well my dad gave the shop the go ahead before i could get a second opinon but its ok becasue the injectors were bad. They had holes in them and all. They put the used ones in i bought. They call and said it was running but asked if i would bring so plugs and wires for it. I did and they said they still can stop the skip but if u give it some throttle it smooths out. They shop owner said that he thinks either the used injectors they put in or the computer is bad. I think i should put a cap and rotor on first. What do yall think..

Quick Reply: Yes there were a few flames!!!