2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Yet another Rear hatch wierd situation....

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:55 AM
cdnhawk is on a distinguished road
Default Yet another Rear hatch wierd situation....

Hello all.

I have a 1996 4wd Blazer. The rear hatch won't open, nor can I hear
the electric solenoid clicking to push the glass. The strange part is
after driving the vehicle for approx 15 mins, I can then put the
vehicle into park, and the hatch pop's open. The hatch will not pop using the button, key fob or the manual button on the back of the tail gate.

I have checked all the fuses in the side panel.. .read quite a few posts that said to check the #3 fuse under the hood??? Does that even exist in a 1996?

I would assume this has to do with the Park Neutral conditions the switch requires to open the hatch.....I am stumped.

When the hatch does open, I have inspected the plastic solenoid
piece, no wear, no damage. What do you think? Electric short,ground??

Where do I start? I am refusing to take to a garage... because I know this is probably just a short... but hell! I don't know where to start looking for the short.. LOL

Thanks all in advance for your help. My wife and I are expecting our first baby.. and this is our only mode of transportation... so no access to the rear is not good.. no stroller... doh!

Old 08-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you may have some wiring issues. This can be the most challenging automotive problem to cure.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:33 AM
cdnhawk is on a distinguished road

Found the solution on here, ... took some WD-40. Sprayed in the back release key hole switch. Worked it in and out... LOL Good to go! It works like a charm. Can't remember who posted it, but you are the man! I guess the button was ever so slightly stuck in.