1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Beginning Member
ramrod83 is on a distinguished road
Default Wont start

Hi everyone i am new to here but this site looks very helpful.I gave my 94 chevy blazer S10 with the 4.3 vortec a tune up(plugs,wires,cap,rotor,air filter,fuel filter,pvc valve and oil change)and now it just wont start.It turns over but wont fire.I have checked the firing order numerous times and its seems to be right according to the book(#1 is front right on the engine and cap and then clockwise 165432) correct me if thats not right.I even pulled the icm out and had it tested and it passed 9 times.I pulled the plugs out just to make sure i put them in right and the were soaked with gas.I did a fuel pressure test and had about 58 to 62 pounds and i think that is pretty good.I dont know where to start next.Any feedback would be great.

Oh and ive got spark coming from the coil and through the cap

Last edited by swartlkk; 03-02-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member yet to respond.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the no start condition just came about after the tuneup, you must not have completed the tune up properly. My guess would be that the wire order is incorrect. I would rotate the engine around to TDC #1 on the compression stroke, then pull the distributor and look at what pin the rotor is pointing to. This will be #1. Then follow the firing order (which you stated correctly) around the cap.

*Moved to 1st Gen Tech*

Old 03-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Beginning Member
Default wont start

Would nt the vehicle atleast try to start even if i had the wires 1 foward or back?I will try what you said.how can i get top dead center on the #1 cylinder

Old 03-02-2011, 01:09 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Click on this link and see if it helps you.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Beginning Member
Default # one on cap

I have a 94 blazer with the 4.3 vortec and it has the round disributor cap.My book only shows the rectangle and that firing order doesnt work.My question is where is the # one on the disributor cap?How many away from the screw that holds the cap in place?If somebody has the same motor will you please look under the hood and tell me or post a pic?I cant get my truck to start after a tune up and must have the wires wrong.Please help

Old 03-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I already told you how to identify this in the first thread you started about your problems. Find TDC #1 (search works great, something like "top+dead+center" just might turn up the relevant information ) then look at which post on the cap the rotor is pointing at or closest to. That is your #1 post. And you figured it out by yourself in less than 5 minutes!

*Merging back into your thread* - Please keep it all together in ONE thread.

I see that Rich already covered the TDC topic for you so it looks like it's time to give it a shot!

Old 03-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Beginning Member

Sorry just getting used to the site.One more question will you still have spark if the ignition module is bad?

I have tried every thing i can think of like changed the icm and found tdc and the plugs were on right. I know there is fuel getting into the cylinders.I dont know what else to do.Its not even trying to start.Anybody know how to fix this?

Last edited by rriddle3; 03-02-2011 at 05:47 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 03-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Have you observed the spark by pulling a plug and grounding it?

Old 03-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Beginning Member
Default wont start

yes i have checked and there is good spark coming from the coil and the distributor.Fuel line has good pressure.It just will just not start

Old 03-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check to see if all the spark plug boots are on all the way, if they are barely touching you will get spark, just not hot enough to do much good. Second check to see if any of the wires are crossed or touching. Most people don't buy high grade wires(AC delco) and they could cross ground and lead to a random misfire to a no start condition. Third make sure the dist cap is seated properly, my 94 blazer would allow the screws to go in and tighten but the cap wasn't seated all the way do to were the CMPS leads came out.

Quick Reply: Wont start