Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

how to change front passenger axle seal...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 08:50 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough
Default how to change front passenger axle seal...

ok...sorry not a mod this time.

so lets say you have a leaking axle seal...what do you do???

well lets start at a common point.
in the first pic the hub nut is off and of course the wheel is off.

i am going to be skipping some pics but will describe what i did...the missing pics are common repairs...and honestly if you are digging this far into your front end...you should know your way around a little.

wheel is off and your ride is properly supported...right??
caliper is supported and we are ready to start..now i have a suspension lift so some parts may look different but the idea is the same.

ok so at this point we need to disconnect the tie rod and stabilizer link to make some area to work.

after that you need to remove the upper and lower ball joint castle nuts/pins to take the spindle out of the control arms.

ok so now at this point the spindle should be out of the way...now in my pic i pulled the lower control arm...i was doing the bushings on them.
i dont think you need to drop them to do this job.

next i pulled out the shock and raised the upper control arm out of the way..i did not remove it. i also then pulled the cv and spline shaft out.
i just used a small pry bar and a couple taps with the hammer and out she came. make sure you dont lose the clip at the inner end of the spline shaft.

ok what i did here was several pilot holes for the slide hammer.
i placed a self tapper in the end of the slide hammer and used these pilot holes to start the self tapper....i figured it would make it a little easier.

this pic will give you an idea of how i pulled the seal....just keep at it.

success seal is pulled...you can see there are about 7 or 8 holes in the seal. not to bad so far.

with seal out....

all cleaned up.

now to get the new one in i just used a 2x4 and a normal hammer...couple taps and it went in. i should mention that i did apply a small amount of grease to make it go a little smoother.

i was going to do the bearing as well but it looked like it was in great shape and honestly...my heroes at the local a$$zone gave me the wrong part.

now just reverse the process and you should be all good to go.

Last edited by warthogdriver; 08-24-2011 at 01:23 PM.