Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

How-To: CV Axle Replacement - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 01:58 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

you really dont need to pull the hub bearing off, just leave it on the spindle and remove it as one unit

to pop the lower ball joint, leave the castle nut on just loosen it halfway then whack the spindle with a BFH (big fu**ing hammer) put a jack under the control arm after it pops and jack it up to remove the tension
also you should pop both balljoints before remove the nuts all the way

Old 12-30-2009, 01:59 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

also my 96 had bolt ons

Old 02-22-2010, 01:20 PM
bprzybyl is on a distinguished road

Hope I'm posting this in the correct section. When I was doing this, the shaft inside the front differential came out with the CV, and now I'm not sure if it's going back in all the way. About 1/2" of the splined shaft that connects to the inner CV is sticking out of the differential. Is this correct, or should it be flush with the outside?

Thanks,
Brooks

Old 02-24-2010, 04:02 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

no need to remove any ball joints to replace the half shaft.
thought I posted a how to on this, however I cant seem to find it.

Takes about 30 minutes in a shop with a lift and air tools to replace a half shaft, and that includes driving the truck in and out.

Remove tire, brakes, rotor, ABS, half shaft nut, and bearing (hub) assemble (3 bolts). Thats it, slide half shaft out, slide a new one in and reassemble. No need to mess around with ball joints, tie rods or any of that stuff. Obviously air tools make it faster, even without ari tools the hardest part is getting the half shaft nut off. You dont even have to take the tire off to break that free. pop off the center cap of your rims, lossen, then loosen tire lug nuts, jack it up and take the rest out. The hub assemble can be stubborn, but a chisle will break it free.

This is another case where the Chilton manual isnt the fastest or most cost effective method.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Beginning Member
wierdo124 is on a distinguished road

You say that pre-94 only used the flange, and 95-96 used the bolt on.

This is incorrect. I recently replaced the pass side on my 96 Blazer and it had the bolt on flange with 6 bolts.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:13 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

This deffinitally helped my understand. I still need to replace both my fronts. The rubber boots both spewed grease everywhere and the boots are completely twisted around the axel.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Beginning Member
Dan8236 is on a distinguished road

Very helpful how to. I tried everything I could think of to get get the axle out without undoing the ball joints and TRE. I tried turning the wheel left, right,and I even tried taking the inner side out first but i couldnt get it. Id love to know how to do it without doing all that. I have to pull the same axle out again next weekend because advance auto sold me the wrong axle seal .

WolfPack you asked for the allen key size for the abs in your writeup I dont know if anyone pm'd you yet or not but in my 99 jimmy it's a 5mm.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:12 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default HOw-To remove cv-axle

https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...384#post309384

There you go, a how to with pictures and everything.

There isn't much room between teh cv-axle and steering knuckle to get a socket and rachet on the hub assemble nuts. Below are the two methods I use to get those bolts out.

One is stacked combination wrenches, and the other is a wrench adapter for sockets.

Attached Thumbnails How-To:  CV Axle Replacement - DISCUSSION THREAD-sort-124.jpg   How-To:  CV Axle Replacement - DISCUSSION THREAD-00-hub-assembly.-008.jpg  
Old 03-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Beginning Member
Dan8236 is on a distinguished road

I dont have enough clearence to get the outside out of the hole where the wheel bearing goes. when you say slide it out. what do you mean? Do you mean from the inside out. ie from the axle tube on the passenger side first? sorry i just dont understand.

I get here and get stuck
Best CV Axle Replacement method.-sort-127.jpg

Last edited by Dan8236; 03-08-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: clerification and spelling
Old 03-08-2010, 12:32 PM
BF Veteran

Your not going to fit the cv axle through the steering knuckle. Once the hub assemble is removed, you now have enough room to pull the cv-axle out of the front differential. you pull the axle out of the differential first, then out of the steering knuckle from the back side.

Push the cv-axle into the hub assemlbe opening and pull the cv-axle out of the differential, then slide the axle out of hte steering knuckle.

Last edited by Hanr3; 03-08-2010 at 12:36 PM.

Quick Reply: How-To: CV Axle Replacement - DISCUSSION THREAD