Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

How to fix rear window actuator. i.e. Rear Window Won't Open

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Starting Member
rhs856 is on a distinguished road

I replaced my actuator by wrapping a piece of wire hanger around where it was. Cost: $0. Hasn't failed in the last 5 years.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish the pictures hadn't expired. Mine just stopped working last night.

Also, does this procedure work the same, for tailgate AND liftgate?

Old 04-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Beginning Member
rocksteady is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, it was the piece of blue plastic....

Too bad in Canada though can only get the part from dealership...

Had to buy the full blown actautor just to get the blue part...Was $85 but luckily I am friends with the parts guys, so I got it at employees pricing $52.....Still expensive but it works again...

If you have the blue plastic, but the motor is fried, drop me a PM and I will send it to you..

Old 04-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Starting Member
Swain is an unknown quantity at this point

I also fixed mine with some thick wire but the other day at the junkyard I grabbed one from another blazer just in case my fix ever breaks. Going strong for two years now though

Old 05-18-2009, 01:40 PM
mjw644allmand is on a distinguished road

I just finished repairing an 03 Blazer with this very problem.

One detail that I missed, and may have been clear had the pictures been displayed, is the access hole that GM puts on the interior panel of the rear door (at least on the one I worked on).

Right about center along the top edge of the carpeted portion of the panel is an access hole that can be viewed and used simply by pulling the carpet loose in that area.

The hole was large enough for a decent size screwdriver and the manual release lever is just inside from that hole. A simple push to one side popped the window release and thus gives you the ability to drop the tailgate and get to work on the repair.

Rockauto.com definitely has the clips I needed - in fact I have an extra package of two left over that I bought as an insurance policy in case I broke one or two. Email me if you'd like to save some money.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:26 PM
spc197x is on a distinguished road

I used these instructions to fix a 1999 blazer. The instructions worked perfectly the process was start to finish about 30 minutes. I opted for the 0$ fix and replaced the actuator arm with a thick piece of wire hanger. Had to drill out the end of the green fixed actuator arm, but this is working perfect. Thanks to the OP for the time in creating the directions.

BTW. Images no longer appear in this thread and the linked messages above lead to the top level of the forum.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Known problem with threads from before the change over to vBulletin.

Basically, someone needs to redo this post.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:37 AM
cbcmlowe is on a distinguished road

MJ...,

Thanks for the enlightenment. My 2003 has the same access hole.

I am able to push with a screwdriver blade what seemed like a release latch to the left, but my hatch won't release. Not sure if not using enough force or something else.

Can anyone give me any pointers or ideas?

Thanks,
Chuck

Old 06-23-2009, 06:13 PM
melsywsou is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Something that helped pull the panel back

Believe it or not, I used 2 of these hooks that I had to safely pull the panel off with no breakage. They are at IKEA. I was able to pry off the panel from the left of the bump with no problem. This was a last resort as I have been trying to pull the panel off for 2 weeks now. I just wanted to let you know. Hopefully, this will help others get the panel back with no breakage.

P.S. I also found it way easier to get the broken clip off and the new one on by pressing in the arm first. Gives more leverage.

My husband will be so thrilled when he gets back from the field to see his hatch working. Thank you for all the great information. He is going to be one happy soldier!

Old 06-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Beginning Member
msfan324 is on a distinguished road
Default Great post

This was one of the very first things that broke when I first purchased my Blazer. Just wish I would have found a thread like this way back when. The tip for opening the window manually is very useful though.

Quick Reply: How to fix rear window actuator. i.e. Rear Window Won't Open