Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

How to fix rear window actuator. i.e. Rear Window Won't Open

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 04:56 AM
Beginning Member
sparkmehanic is on a distinguished road

First thing I fixed when I purchased mine also. I used 12 AWG solid core and it works great. I then researched RKE and started that. Moving on.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:32 AM
vapro is on a distinguished road

this may be a silly question, but in the text on how to repair the rear wintow actuator, it refers to "see picture one ----
how to I access those pictures?

Old 06-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vapro
this may be a silly question, but in the text on how to repair the rear wintow actuator, it refers to "see picture one ----
how to I access those pictures?
See my last response. The pictures are gone. Happened in the transfer of the forum to vBulletin. Someone needs to go through this again and take new pictures.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:20 PM
kishpaugh is on a distinguished road

how do I open the rear hatch window I can't get the emergency release to work for me? I can hear the moter working but it won't open the window so I can get into it to fix it.

How do I get the pictures you talk about on e602 answer for fix rear window actuator please help me

Last edited by rriddle3; 07-05-2009 at 01:09 PM. Reason: CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 07-05-2009, 01:12 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kishpaugh
How do I get the pictures you talk about on e602 answer for fix rear window actuator please help me
Please read the post directly above yours.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:43 AM
clancy98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Adding some pictures...

I saw this thread and it helped me figure out how to fix this problem (though I haven't found the correct replacement part yet, I may just improvise it) So I thought I would snap some pics while I was in there and share them. They're in my photobucket -- which I don't plan on getting rid of anytime soon....

I even took a video of the actuator in (in)action:
http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...t=DSCF0827.flv

Let me know if you guys have any problems with the links! Thanks alot for the info in the first place!

Old 08-23-2009, 05:10 PM
cbcmlowe is on a distinguished road
Default Allen wrench trick worked. No breakage. No drilling.

2003 - Blazer 4wd, 4 dr

My hatch and door remained locked. I really didn't want to "hulk" out and force the hump trim. I took a shot using another users tip. It worked - allen wrench opened the hatch.

Here's the details for my break free fix:

1. Ordered the door actuator "blue" replacement arms from Rockauto. Around $10 delivered.

2. Used a medium size allen wrench to release the latch. Had to fish, but the short end of allen wrench popped the latch going through the mid-door release hole. This was not the release lever others have mentioned that could be push with a screwdriver. It was inside and upwards on the closed rear hatch. Somewhere mid way inside the door chamber, roughly 1" deep at the 1:00 o'clock position I hit the latch by twisting the allen wrench.

3. Once open, remove trim screws in rear door at the latch, and either end of open door.

**Door is open from here on, but easiest to refer to as top and bottom for understanding**

4. Work from top edges, mine had 2 retaining clips under the trim on either top corner. Pry these up first.

5. There are a few more clips which need to be lifted mid way down. Work from top edge down toward floor edge. The trick is to not pry the trim at the floor.

6. There are no clips at bottom edge. BE CAREFUL HERE. The bottom of the door has 6 hard plastic "male" clips which slide into receiving slots in the door frame. The trim panel must be slid toward the top, or the hard clips might break. A simple slide up and these are free.

7. Everything is clear from this point on. Remove metric #7 screws to get inside door. There are a few plastic guides for the door latch arms. The arms easily pop out, and back. There is also a retainer on the door latch lock that pushed out. Slide out the broken blue arm and replace.

8. Reverse steps and you are done.

Good luck to all you guys. If it wasn't for this forum I would have dropped hundreds to fix. In the end it cost $10 and really only about 30 minutes of work time.

~Charles

Old 08-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have any pictures of the hole you fished through to pop the hatch?

Old 08-25-2009, 01:38 AM
cbcmlowe is on a distinguished road

The rear door access hole was easy to find on my 2003 4dr. From inside the "trunk", the rear door trim has a carpet covered center section. At the top edge of the carpeted section, in the middle of the door, just below the trim "hump" which covers the lock/latch mechanism is a an access port or hole. I found it by pressing on the top edge of the trim carpet in the center of the door.

The hole is hidden from view by the carpet, but it was easy to find by pressing on the trim carpet edge with my finger.

Maybe I got really lucky to trip the hatch with the allen wrench, but I picked up the trick from another board user's tip. It worked for me and the other posting member. Sorry about this sounding like a "blind luck" sort of fix. Spinning an allen wrench poked inside the door chamber is about all I did to pop the hatch.

Hope helps others with this problem.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:52 AM
ds2ace is on a distinguished road

This post is great and saved some cash, thought I'd chime in and let everyone know that I found the replacment clip at NAPA for $5.49....Item#: BK 7355970

Price: $5.49 Seems like some of the part stores are carrying the ""Rear window Actuator repair kit" in stock, so that should save time and shipping.

Quick Reply: How to fix rear window actuator. i.e. Rear Window Won't Open