Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

HOW TO: Flare your own brake lines - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Starting Member
Swain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HOW TO: Flare your own brake lines - DISCUSSION THREAD

Hey just had to replace a few brake lines on the old girl and I figured I would post up a few pictures of how easy(and cheap) it is to do it yourself and save some coin.

Tools recommended:
Tubing flare($15-$30)
Small tube cutter($5)
Brake line($5)
OPTIONAL
Union connector if you are joining two cut lines($1)
Brake line fittings($1)
Screwdriver/wrench/pliers or in my case a file to get the flare tool good and tight

First you will start with getting the right size brake line, in my case it was 1/4" this was for the line running down the driver side frame rail but I also used 3/16" for the line that runs across the rear end. Check with a 1/4" or 3/16" wrench to see which you will need!

This is a very easy task to do the most important part is to make sure you get the flare vise tight enough so the tube doesn't slip. You may ruin a couple inches making your first few so buy extra it is cheap anyways.

Step#1
Measure and cut your line to size using the small tubing cutter, if your line didn't come with a fitting put one on threaded side facing your new cut. Oh, and make sure you clean out the end/inside of the brake line with a drill bit or a small file so everything is clean and clear!!!

Step#2
Put your brake line in the proper hole on your flare vise, on the die that will come with a kit the largest part of the die is what you measure to figure out how much line should stick through the end you are flaring. Tighten down, I used the file between the wingnuts to make sure it was snug.

Step#3
Take the press, insert the die's small end into the brake line and snug it up making sure everything is centered and straight. Turn the press until the die is touching the vise.

Step#4
Back off the press and remove the die, now center and tighten the press once again without the die in place.

Step#5
That's it! Remove the press, loosen the vise and take out your newly double flared brake line. You will use the union connector(shown attatched to the fitting on my brake line in the first picture) to join two brake lines together with the fittings that usually come on the brake line you bought. If you can buy a chunk long enough to do the job you can skip this step.

Hopefully this will help a few people save some cash, just make sure the vise is tightened down on the brake line good, make sure you tighten down the press really good when you are using it as well. One more tip would be before you bend the line make sure the connector is right at the flare or you might have to bend it back to slide over the line!!!

Last edited by Swain; 04-12-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:17 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

This is the first automotive thing I ever learned-and I still don't have it down! Be sure you take your time and pay attention to everything you do. As easy as it is to do, it's still pretty easy to screw up the end result. Good post though!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Starting Member

Roger, and another thing to add is hit up all the rusty connections with some PB blaster a few hours or the day before you decide to replace a line so you don't round them out. And if anyone is really paying attention I didn't actually flare the line in the vise I just used a peice of scrap and mocked it up for the pictures but once you do the steps you will get an end result of the last picture!

Old 04-14-2009, 03:25 AM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Very good post!

I am going to have to do this on my oil lines soon (replacing with AN fittings), and it was nice to see the process first. Hopefully my flaring goes as painless as yours, lol!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Ugly_Monkey
Very good post!

I am going to have to do this on my oil lines soon (replacing with AN fittings), and it was nice to see the process first. Hopefully my flaring goes as painless as yours, lol!
If you're doing the oil lines, check this.... cheaper than AN fittings. The lines are aluminum and might not flare correctly.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/article-submissions-discussions-47/remote-oil-line-29898/

Old 04-23-2009, 12:08 AM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

nice write up i use a hydraulic flaring tool when i do lines much nicer and easier to use

Old 04-23-2009, 01:45 AM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
If you're doing the oil lines, check this.... cheaper than AN fittings. The lines are aluminum and might not flare correctly.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29898
HAHA! good call, I have 200$ worth of AN fittings and Hose sitting in a box!

Old 04-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by packofqtips
nice write up i use a hydraulic flaring tool when i do lines much nicer and easier to use
Any links to some cheap ones? I checked ebay and all I seen was mastercraft for around $200-$300